Heavenly Buffaloes

Posted by DID 9 Sep 2014 12 Comments

There’s a new great, magical thing in the Bull City – a joint that delivers wings, waffle fries and beer until 3 am on Friday and Saturday nights. Seriously – wings and waffle fries – delivered. And not just any wings, Heavenly Buffaloes is offering (also for take-out) cage-free wings in a variety of flavors and styles. ¬† The beer, which we appreciate, is only the tall boy variety or big bottles (22 oz.+).

Heavenly Buffaloes opened the in the small take-out building on Markham, just across from the car wash and Funky Monkey Hair Salon. ¬†From the folks behind Dain’s Place, it’s no surprise that Heavenly Buffaloes is already offering solid service and food after only being open just a few days. They do have a few picnic tables set up for folks who want to enjoy their wings, waffle fries and beer on site.

Heavenly Buffaloes has classic, boneless, and vegan wings with 19 wet (sauced) or six dry (rubbed) options.

On our first visit we opted for 7 of the classic wet, medium ($6.99), a half pound of the boneless in the sweet thai chili coconut sauce ($7.99) and 7 of the dry rubbed in garlic parmesan. The bone-in wings were both awesome, meaty and loaded with flavor – exactly what you want in wings. We didn’t dig the boneless – the sweet thai chili coconut sauce with crushed peanuts was incredible – but the ratio of fried crust to chicken was too much for us.

This is the latest in a long line of take-out restaurants to try to make a go of it in this space. We are hoping Heavenly Buffaloes is the one that makes a success of this location.

Heavenly Buffalos
1807 W. Markham Ave.
Durham, NC 27705
919-237-2358
Mondays: 4-10pm
Wednesday-Thursday: 4-Midnight
Friday-Saturday: 11-3am
Sunday: 12-10pm

• Div said:

We were pretty meh on this place. A bit pricy considering they don’t have the overhead of a dining room or a large space, but the wings were decent. They do charge extra for celery and sauce, which doesn’t seem right. We didn’t like the boneless either–too much dry, crumbly breading. And $9 for 7 veggie nuggets seems insane. The order of fries is huge, though, and those were really good.

Kid Stardust replies on September 15th, 2014 at 11:09 am:

Seriously, if you’re not putting a roof over my head or even giving me a good shot at a table to eat your damn food, I’m not paying 15 bucks for some wings and fries. Durham’s foodie reputation is not a license to be greedy. I’m looking at you too, food-truck operators.

Scot replies on October 10th, 2014 at 11:48 am:

I find this type of review so annoying and completely unhelpful. We got is Kid, you’re cheap. I’m sure you can find a cheaper place to get wings in town. I appreciate that Heavenly Buffaloes uses free range, NC wings and the price is certainly fair considering the amazing quality. Anyone who complains that food truck or restaurant owners are “greedy” just shows how little they know about the food and service industries.

I strongly recommend the Garlic Garlic Garlic and Ginger Garlic sauces. So fresh tasting and so different.

Kid Stardust replies on October 13th, 2014 at 12:18 am:

If “cheap” means “not willing to pay these prices for glorified sports-bar garbage food out of a 10 x 10 shack,” then yes, I am cheap. I clearly lack your level of discernment when it comes to gnawing tiny shreds of meat off bird parts.

• silvio said:

charging for a few sticks of celery and a small cup of sauce is just ridiculous, but the wings are very good!!

Weijie replies on September 11th, 2014 at 5:53 pm:

Whether they charge you separately for it or not, it is always in the price. I like that I do not have to pay for it and throw it away without using it.

• fred said:

While the menu is confusing, each order of wings that I got came with a free ranch/blue cheese and celery. They just cost extra if you want extra.

Chipotle BBQ is the best.

Div replies on September 11th, 2014 at 10:06 pm:

That wasn’t the case when I went, but it was their first day or two open, so maybe it’s changed.

• Heavenly Buffaloes said:

We have been blown away by the support and the amazing response to our newest venture. We are trying very hard to offer a superior experience with our wings and fries both for delivery and take out and welcome your suggestions. I understand the confusion about the celery and dressing…it is not clear on our menu. For the record, a packet of celery and one side of dressing is included with every order of 7 wings and increases exponentially with every order of increasing volume. You are welcome to purchase additional celery and dressing. Thanks again for embracing Heavenly Buffaloes, we hope to see you soon!

Sant replies on September 23rd, 2014 at 4:46 pm:

Since you are open to suggestions here’s mine: most people will not want to pay $5 for fries, even if it’s a large order. How about an half order option for $2.50?

Josh L. replies on October 9th, 2014 at 9:41 am:

I’ve been here multiple times–and I love it. I’ve made it my weekly Wednesday spot to grab some great wings. It’s extremely pointless to buy Wing Stop considering HB offers much larger wings and the fries (sweet potato and Idaho variations) taste amazing. I expect small hiccups from new places but overall I’ve been met with an awesome experience each time and great customer service. I never thought the menu was confusing but if I was to ever have a question, I asked–and I was given great responses..

• wing aficionado said:

The wing sauces and dry rubs at Heavenly Buffaloes are on point. The fries are tasty. The fact that they deliver, another huge plus. But as a chicken wing aficionado, I have to say the wings just aren’t crispy enough. They lack that crunch factor I enjoy in a good wing. It’s almost like they don’t flash fry them. Quite disappointing I must say. Definitely have to agree that the price point is a bit steep. They aren’t the only wings in town. Just my thoughts. Give em a shot and see what you think.