Ricky’s NY Pizza

Posted by DID 12 Nov 2013 8 Comments

These days, Durham has its fair share of pizza joints. The fancy pies at Toro, the locally-sourced clever ingredient combos at Pie Pushers, Randy’s cheap oversized slices, the thick doughy crusts at Lilly’s and Mellow Mushroom, the grandma pie at the Pizzeria – and that is just a handful of the options close to downtown.

In North Durham, however, the pizza options are much more limited. Aside from the chains, there is an easily overlooked option – Ricky’s. A relatively barebones Italian establishment, Ricky’s is in the strip mall just past the Eno River Park on Roxboro Road. Just a few tables, a TV and a drink machine – Ricky’s seems to do mostly take-out. We ordered on a recent Thursday night expecting an average pie for a cheap, quick dinner –  but the eggplant pizza we picked up was excellent.

Ricky’s eggplant pizza is NY style with a thin, crispy crust topped with a solid tomato sauce, hunks of fried eggplant, mozzarella and spoonfuls of fresh ricotta. It’s the dollops of ricotta that take this pizza to the next level. It truly was outstanding. We also tried an order of garlic knots. Large, buttery and covered in garlic, they were equally impressive.

Ricky’s is great a option for take-out in North Durham. Anyone tried Ricky’s Italian dishes?
Ricky’s NY Pizza
5279 N Roxboro Rd
Durham, NC 27712

(919) 477-2800

• judas_escargot said:

Tried a slice here once–it was okay, bit on the small side. There are definitely some better, more well-known options in the area as far as that goes.

One thing of interest that I did note on their menu was a gyro pizza, one of two places in Durham that I’m aware of doing that. On my list for next time.

• CDB said:

Yes! Ricky’s is my go-to pizza now that I’m out of delivery range for Randy’s. And, frankly, I don’t miss it.

I’m not sure how it started, but we only order cheese pizzas from Ricky’s–something unheard of in my house. But we enjoy the simplicity of the well baked pie and the really nice sauce Ricky’s provides.

• DGM said:

Has his recipe changed since the days that he was on Ninth St.? I don’t remember it being all that great.

• RNB said:

We were visiting from New York and were delighted to find Rickys pizza…it was like being home. The sauce was rich and the pizza had the right amount of yummy cheese.We also liked the baked crust.
    The owner was very pleasant our order was delicious and on time…we plan to return to Rickys on our next visit.

• Chris Roberts said:

We order Ricky’s pizza every week and sometimes twice a week. He’s my go to
    pizza place. The sauce in awesome to the point we always order extra sauce. Love their pizza and we are a fan for life.

• Michael S said:

It’s about the best you’ll find in the area…sometimes loses it if you order five or six things for take-out, but the pizza is done well and it’s done quickly

• Mrs. D said:

Ok pizza. Terrible customer service. I was deliberately hung up on trying to place take out because he said my cell # had a different address. I was beyond confused.

• Mr.R said:

The buffalo chicken pizza is the bomb. Perfect carry-out to watch with the game.