Sake Bomb

Posted by DID 3 Mar 2013 7 Comments

With some ties to Shiki Sushi and Sushi Love, Durham’s newest sushi joint feels like the cooler, older sister of those Durham favorites. Open just shy of two weeks, Sake Bomb (horrible name) is still fairly deserted – but I expect that to soon change.

Sake Bomb is somewhat of an oasis in a dying strip mall on University, just behind the Target on 15-501. In the old K-Mart strip, it’s next door to an Auto Zone and a cheap nail salon. But once you’re through Sake Bomb’s doors, it feels as if you’ve stepped into a high-end hotel – chandeliers, tiled walls, lots of black and red. The large, posh bar has four TV’s and would make a good, off-the-beaten path spot to watch a game.

Like most sushi joints in the Triangle, Sake Bomb offers a wide range of Asian cuisines. The menu includes sushi (elaborate rolls/nigiri), Thai (Pad Thai, curries), Americanized Chinese (Crab Rangoons, General Tso’s), Japanese Hibachi dinners, Vietnamese Pho and more. Sake Bomb also has an interesting cocktail menu, wide selection of beers on tap (including local brews), and a long sake and wine list. There is also a small bar menu that includes Thai Wings and a Sake Kobe Burger.

Our table of four tried four sushi rolls, a Tom Ha soup, house salad, edamame, and the Drunken Noodles. Everything was excellent. On a Saturday night, sushi rolls were all half price. Four premium rolls cost us $25. The rolls were some of the freshest and best I’ve had in the Triangle. The rainbow roll was covered with large hunks of tuna, salmon, yellow tail and white tuna. The Hawaiian roll (eel, cream cheese, soft shell crab and pineapple topped with eel sauce) was good but a little too sweet for my taste. The spicy tuna roll was solid and larger than you’ll find elsewhere around town, but the Tai roll (spicy tuna, masago, avocado topped with salmon, white tuna and served with eel sauce and sriracha sauce) was the stand-out favorite.

The house salad was a few steps above the standard ginger dressing/iceberg variety thanks to better greens and wonton noodles. The Tom Ha soup, rich with coconut milk and spice, was also excellent. The drunken noodles with pork were right up there with any other I’ve had in Durham, a spicy punch and fresh basil balancing out the standard brown sauce and thick noodles.

Even in its infancy, Sake Bomb delivered on all fronts – the atmosphere, the service and, most importantly, the food. We officially have a new favorite sushi spot in Durham.

Sake Bomb
4215 University Dr
Durham, NC 27707
(919) 401-4488
Mon-Sun 11 am – 9 pm

• Tooth said:

Copywriter?!

DID replies on March 4th, 2013 at 6:35 pm:

??

• ernesto said:

Here’s a good way to try Sake Bomb. The N&O DealSaver has a pay $10 get $20 of food offer for Sake Bomb. See offer at:

• sean haugh said:

I still miss Greenleaf.

Mrrzy replies on November 17th, 2013 at 3:30 pm:

Shows you it’s been a while, I didn’t know Greenleaf was gone… and happy birthday Sean!

• Erin said:

I’ve tried sushi a number of times and hated it. Nigiri is delicious, but expensive… and the nori in standard rolls always tasted too strong to me. I only recently learned that soy or rice paper are options for sushi. Armed with this new info, I wanted to try sushi again, so a friend suggested Sake Bomb. Our server told me they could make any of the rolls with soy paper (there was a 50 cent up charge), so I got two rolls. They were both phenomenal, and I got 8 pieces in each. Rolls were BOGO (we went on a Saturday), and we each got a beverage and shared an appetizer. I got out for under $30 and was stuffed. I will be back soon.. No doubt.

• Heidi said:

We tried Sake Bomb last Sunday for lunch..we had been meaning to try it before then but honestly had forgotten about it. We will most definitely be returning soon! The restaurant is beautiful and the food was all great. We got sushi rolls and pad Thai. The kids menu has great choices as well. My kids got tempura chicken and chicken fried rice..both of which were outstanding. Both of my children have asked to go back since then. I just hope they start advertising it somehow or I’m afraid because of its location people will forget it exists..