Home » Bakeries, Restaurants

The Cupcake Bar

Posted by DID 19 Oct 2012 8 Comments

After catering, stocking coffee shops and restaurants, and selling their cupcakes at pop-up stands around the Triangle, the Cupcake Bar opened their shop in the newly bustling five points intersection of Durham.

Known for cocktail inspired flavors, the Cupcake Bar is the only cupcake-focused shop in town and it’s a nice place to grab a quick dessert after lunch at Toast, Pizzeria Toro or Mateo. They are offering a handful of cupcakes in both standard ($3) and mini ($1.50) size. They’re also doing frosting shots, ice cream and coffee.

The day we stopped in flavors included margarita, pumpkin, red velvet, Mexican chocolate, latte and dreamsicle. In an attempt to try as many flavors as possible, we opted for four mini cupcakes – Mexican chocolate, latte, pumpkin and red velvet. The red velvet was a classic take with cream cheese icing and a dense chocolaty cake. The latte, my least favorite, was a coffee flavor cake with a chocolate covered coffee bean on top. Without the coffee bean, I just didn’t get the coffee flavor. The Mexican chocolate was excellent, loaded with cinnamon. But for Mexican chocolate, I like a kick of heat which this cake didn’t have. The pumpkin was the stand out, moist dense pumpkin cake with a spicy cinnamon butter cream. I do really like the option of a bite size dessert.

Word of warning, in these early weeks of business the Cupcake Bar often sells out before their 7pm closing time.

The Cupcake Bar
101 East Chapel Hill Street  Durham, NC 27701
(919) 816-2905
Monday – Saturday 11am-7pm

• Restaurants in San Diego said:

Seems to be a perfect bar for cupcakes, cant wait to in and enjoy a cupcake with my love.

Restaurants in San Diego

• LR Bergeron said:

Nice! The fact that The Cupcake Bar is the only business of its kind in town serves to make a possible success. Time will tell. LR Bergeron

Dave replies on October 26th, 2012 at 12:38 pm:

I know! There were still a few points in downtown where you may have been a full block away from a good place to buy pastries and coffee. Aside from Ninth St Bakery, that corner was very lacking.

• dbird said:

I thought Magnolia Bakery cupcakes were cute. I did prefer their banana pudding on the rare occasion we thought of dessert walking home after tuna tartare and micro greens with pomegranate vinaigrette and spaghetti bottarga. Or miso black cod. Or gold-flecked sushi.

On the whole, I’m glad the 1990s are behind us.

• Sant said:

I had a mojito cupcake there and it was good but a bit too sweet. If they dailed down the sweetness level to say that of Guglhupf’s pastries it would be ideal. I wish them all the best but I don’t see how they will make a go of it just selling cupcakes– the rent for that beautiful, prime location has to be daunting. With 9th St., Beyou Caffe, Scratch, Loaf, and Daisycakes nearby and Parker & Otis, Whole Foods, Madhatter’s, Hummingbird’s, and Guglhupf not too far away, that’s a ton of competition for the sweet treats dollar.

• Madalice said:

I can’t think of why you’d refer to it as the only cupcake-focused place in town with Daisy Cakes and all the others named above just around the corner, so to speak.. I do want to try the mini cakes though so thanks for the review.

DID replies on November 20th, 2012 at 2:59 pm:

Because this is the only place that sells just cupcakes – Daisy Cakes in addition to a wide variety of sweets does soups, sandwiches, quiche, etc

• Jennifer Swenson said:

It would be great if they had hours that would coincide with after dinner– closing at 7pm pretty much eliminates that possibility. I would love to have a cupcake for dessert after dining out downtown!