Home » Bakeries, Restaurants

Daisy Cakes Store

Posted by DID 18 Nov 2011 5 Comments

Not much needs to be said about the new Daisy Cakes storefront other than, not surprisingly – it is awesome. We’ve already sung the praises of the Daisy Cakes airstream back in August of 2008 and are excited to have a more regular spot to get our sugar fix. The new space with its white-washed walls and high ceiling is bright, warm and welcoming.

What is surprising about Durham’s new cupcake shop are the savory eats. In addition to the case filled with unreal looking cupcakes, whoopie pies, pies, cookies (maple bacon) and more – Daisy Cakes also has a solid lunch menu of sandwiches, soups and quiches. The sandwiches are all less than $8 and Daisy Cakes is sourcing locally and organically. Their eggs are from Latta, dairy is from Homeland, coffee is Counter Culture and their meats are from Farmhand Foods.

When we stopped in for lunch, I was able to try their ham sandwich (city ham, mustard fruit chutney, and fontina). The sandwich was large, piled with ham that was offset nicely with tangy mustard fruit chutney. It came on a fresh seemingly housemade ciabatta roll and with a small salad tossed in a lemon vinaigrette. Their soup of the day was a cream of spinach, which was creamy yet light and topped with croutons.

Daisy Cakes changes their offerings daily and is a great spot for lunch. But be forewarned – when stopping in just for lunch, it’s really hard to resist the stacks of cupcakes and sweet offerings. The only bad thing about Daisy Cake’s new store front is their somewhat limited hours – we were hoping for late night cupcakes. They are open 7:30am to 5:30pm Tuesday-Friday and 7:30am-3:30pm on Saturdays.

Daisy Cakes
401 Foster Street, Suite A.

• Sarah said:

Not open Sundays? Poop. Will stop by this week sometime!

• Carolyn said:

Their turkey/advocado/bacon sandwich is really good, and alas I had to try the cranberry, walnut upside down cake……..oh man, total awesomeness….

• JNB said:

The breakfast sandwich was gigantic and quite tasty. Really enjoyed the greens. And the coffee mugs are really cool!

• Brent said:

I’ve been 2 times and was unimpressed on both visits.

I had lunch on my first trip, and got it to go – a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich itself had great flavor, but was very small – even for the $4.50 price tag. A side of vegetables came with it and I have never seen a side as tiny. Two small bites and it was all gone. I realize that it didn’t exactly break the bank, but the size of the meal was enough to take note.

My second trip was to get a whoopie pie (which they didn’t have the first visit). My boyfriend and I both thew them away after one bite – there was a weird, chemical taste to the cake. I’ve never tasted cake with such a flavor.

I’m hoping that these are just a couple of weird experiences as I’d like to visit more often.

• Sant said:

I’ve had their whoopie pie and thought it was awesome. I liked it so much I got the remaining two to go for the wife and kids. The latte was also good and less expensive than what is charged at other coffee places. Their version of pop tarts made with shortbread is killer!