Home » Mobile, Restaurants

Slippin’ Sliders

Posted by DID 9 May 2011 5 Comments

Slippin’ Sliders has been one of the more elusive trucks around town, not coming to Durham very often. But that is about to change as one of Slippin’ Sliders’ owners just bought a house in the Bull City. This past weekend they made appearances at both Sam’s Quik Shop and Motorco Music Hall.

We got the chance to try four of their sliders at Sam’s Quik Shop’s craft beers in cans event. Of the seven sliders offered, we chose the Teriyaki (beef, pineapple, cheddar, teriyaki sauce), the Diablo (beef, pepper jack,  jalapeños, ranch, Texas Pete), the West Coast (beef, cheddar, bacon, cajun remoulade) and the Turkey Jack (turkey, pepper jack, apple butter, bacon, pesto aioli on a croissant).

The turkey was actually my favorite – apple butter plus pepper jack and pesto all came together nicely on the rich, buttery croissant bun. The other three beef sliders were all really good – each solid in its own way. The spice of the Diablo balanced nicely with the ranch and pepper jack. The cajun remoulade added a kick of spice to the West Coast. And pineapple and teriyaki is always a winning combination.

I really dig the whole sliders concept, it’s nice to be able to try more than one and not feel too guilty about indulging. Slippin’ Sliders also has  two veggie sliders options on the menu and they source most of their ingredients locally including their beef.

Small burgers with fun, innovative toppings – what’s not to like?  It’s $3 for one slider, $5 for two and $7 for three. Looking forward to seeing them around town more often!

Find them on twitter @slippinsliders

• Sant said:

I have had their sliders twice and was disappointed both times. I think their concept is all wrong: too fancy, too expensive, and poor executed– patties sometimes overcooked, other times undercooked. My suggestion would be to go simple– keep the toppings to mustard, cheese, and maybe griddled onions. This will allow them to lower their price. Simple will also help to ensure that the patties are properly cooked.

• Tooth said:

First let me just say I wish this truck all the best, but I really hope it has improved since the last time I tried it during the Rock N’ Shop market at Motorco late last year. In fairness to the truck, they looked somewhat busy at the time, but I waited over 35minutes for a couple of sliders and I was terribly disappointed with both. The turkey burger was just barley passable and the black bean burger was a joke. More specifically, the black bean burger patty was obviously derived by baking a pre-fab Morningstar black bean burger, cutting that single patty into four quarters, putting one quarter of that Morningstar burger onto a slider bun, and then adding some toppings.

I really do wish them good fortune but that Morningstar black bean burger from the freezer section of my grocery store and a tasteless turkey burger isn’t going to get me back there.

• DID (author) said:

Give them a try again – we only waited 5 minutes as they make the sliders when you order them. Turkey was good. Didn’t try the veggie so can’t vouch for it.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

The best slider I’ve had from a local truck was from Ko-Kyu. This truck was suppose to be offering at The Cookery Open House, but they broke down or something.

• MEZ said:

I tried them for the first time last night. Had the Turkey Apple Jack and the West Coast. It only took 5-10 minutes for the food. Sizewise, I’m still debating whether I think $3 for one is a good price or not. We ended up with 4 for $10, because they offer a 3 for $7 special, so you can save some if you buy more of them. I really liked the turkey offering, great flavors and the bread was good. The cajun sauce on the West Coast was tasty, too. Just tried White Castle for the first time last weekend, and this is a humongous improvement over their sliders, IMO. I’ll definitely eat at this truck again.