Home » Bars, Beer

Lloyd’s Lounge

Posted by DID 2 Mar 2011 15 Comments

I’m sure most of you have seen that non-descript white building just up the road from Fullsteam with the Lloyd’s Lounge sign out front and like us wondered what’s inside. This past Saturday night, overwhelmed by the crowds/music at Fullsteam and needing a break, we popped into Lloyd’s. And as it turns out – it’s awesome. We’ve been scoping around town for a go-to laidback bar since the Down Under closed down and in Lloyd’s we may have found it.

Pretty nice on the inside, Lloyd’s has a welcoming bar scene, a scattering of tables, a small dance floor and a good patio. On a Saturday night at midnight, there were only a handful of customers. The bartender was really welcoming, encouraging us to come back often and with friends. Apparently Lloyd’s used to have a questionable reputation and was rented out most nights for private parties. But now under new management, Lloyd’s is looking to become Durham’s neighborhood bar.

New manager Chet Mancour, who was one of the first employees at the much beloved and missed Joe and Jo’s, says they may even start serving food and are trying to organize food trucks for their parking lot. There’s a large pig cooker out back that looks promising for summer months.

On Saturday night all domestics were $2, “Long Islands” were $5 and the Blue Motorcycle (pictured) was the cocktail special of the night. A DJ was playing old school hip hop/dance pop hits to a semi-deserted dance floor and basketball was on the TV’s. The bartender said they do karaoke on Thursday nights if you’re into that sort of thing and a night to avoid if you’re not.

Lloyd’s makes a good stop when heading to or from downtown to or from Motorco or Fullsteam. If only they could get the Down Under’s jukebox. Note: Learned that PBR is $1 every night. . . every night.

Lloyd’s site says they’re open Tues. 5-11 pm, Thurs.-Sat. 8pm-2am, & Sun. 3-11pm.

Lloyd’s Lounge

704 Rigsbee Ave.

Durham, NC 27701

(919) 251-8854

• tsq75 said:

HELL YES! over the past few weeks Lloyds has become my new spot to stop in for a drink and chat. completely unpretentious and welcoming family run joint. perfect for stoppin on your way home from work and grabbing a quick drink before heading home for the night.

I actually believe they are open 7 days. 6pm to 2am, but i think they’re working on an earlier opening.

• Tiffany (aka TIF) said:

Thanks for reviewing this bar! I just noticed it awhile back and thought about stopping in, but was a bit nervous for some reason. Can you say anything about the crowd? Is it welcoming to a diversity of folks?

TSQ75 replies on March 2nd, 2011 at 10:40 pm:

DID replies on March 3rd, 2011 at 1:55 am:

super diverse – all types welcome – they want everyone to feel at home

TIF replies on March 3rd, 2011 at 11:13 am:

NICE! :D

• Donny said:

Soooo. Do you mind if we dance with your dates?

• Ruth said:

I’ve never been to Lloyd’s… but the LGBT nightclub across the street, Steel Blue, is pretty awesome.(It’s welcoming to those not within the LGBT community as well.) I encourage you guys to check that place out, too.

RhoadaBell replies on March 3rd, 2011 at 1:58 pm:

Steel Blue is awesome! Accepting to everyone and a great place to dance.
    I will now check out Lloyd’s, thanks for the review.

DID replies on March 3rd, 2011 at 3:15 pm:

Sat. night, Lloyd’s seemed to have some spill over from Steel Blue. Does Steel Blue always have a cover?

Diane replies on March 4th, 2011 at 6:15 pm:

On saturdays yes. Friday’s no unless there is a band or event. Still worth the $5.

tsq75 replies on March 3rd, 2011 at 6:28 pm:

One love, y’all….one love for both of the spots at the shadier end of the block ;)

• Erika said:

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name! This is that kind of place! Everyone feels at home here! Bring your cards,dominos and your friends hang out drink have some laughs make some memories… You’ll come back : )

• J said:

I remember when it had a “questionable reputation” well, now that the hipsters are invading every weekend, I guess it’s nice that they are supporting REAL local businesses as well…

• Eli Mel said:

Hi! I’m a teacher at the school right down the street from Lloyds Lounge. On Friday night I was attending a benefit for my school at motorco and it started at 6:00pm. For some reason Motorco had blocked off their parking lot for their later crowd and the road (which house all the many other bars) was jammed with folks.
    I parked at Lloyd’s and unfortunately BEHIND the “we will tow you sign”. The knuckle head that owns Lloyd called the Tow company at 6:15pm that night. The funny about that is that I was seriously thinking of stopping into Lloyds later that night…Around 8:15ish I went back to my car to grab something I needed so I could actually get a drink at The Bar(Steel Blue) across from Lloyds and then perhaps stop into Lloyds as well only to find my car had been towed.
    I’m out $200.00 and I’m never ever going to go to Lloyds Lounge obviously ever again. Do not go there and Do not park there. They charge too much for drinks, The ambiance is absolutely nothing special and the Surf Bar will take them under. Besides, if the owner if Lloyds was not such an idiot perhaps he would work with the other bars in that strip of street and make it into a bar crawl kind of thing.

WARNING: DO NOT PARK AT Lloyds Lounge ever, even if you are planning to go there – you will get towed!!!

• Fred Dyson said:

We went to Lloyed Lounge last Saturday. HORRIBLE!!!!STAY AWAY!!!SCAM ALERT!!! I met the owner, she’s the scantily dressed woman watching over her parking lot watching cars being towed away. I visited the bar at 11pm on Saturday night and I was the ONLY ONE THERE. I asked for scotch, they didn’t have any…so i ordered a cheap beer. Of course they have that. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the entire bar is a SCAM and they are making their money off of the towing for $200/pop which they seemed pretty busy doing as quickly as they could. This place is a disease for downtown Durham. For a city trying to come up and for these guys to abuse the patrons, it’s a sorry thing to do. The owner and tow business should be ashamed.