Beyu (Brunch)

Posted by TIF 1 Mar 2011 23 Comments

When I spend my hard-earned money to patronize a restaurant, I want fantastic, amazing, and wonderful food. I want to do the happy dance in my chair. I want my eyes to roll back in my head and my lips to yelp a loud and clear, “mmmmmmmmmm.” Otherwise, I want to eat at home. So, when Beyu announced that they were starting to serve brunch on Sundays, I knew deep down inside that they had big, very, very big shoes to fill. If you read nothing else in this review, know, that those shoes were filled, overflowing actually.

Beyu has been getting a lot of accolades lately—the Raleigh News and Observer and the Durham Herald Sun have both written glowing reviews of their dinner menu, but still, I was weary. Truth be told, aside from the Bull City Vegan Challenge food (which I LOVED), I have not eaten at Beyu for months, because I thought the food there (pre- the new head chef, Chef Juan) was ‘just o.k.’

But the recent praise made me hopeful. So, four friends joined me for Sunday brunch. Together, we ordered the frittata, sweet crepes, French toast, vegetarian omelette du jour, and the steak & eggs. Because this post is already getting long, I’ll describe the dishes in terms of our sound bites from the table…

“These eggs taste like mine! They are seasoned perfectly.”

“This crepe is a flavor explosion.”

“I know there are a lot of restaurants here in Durham, but I’d really just like to come here every time we come visit. No need to try anywhere else.”

“These steak & eggs are off the chain! No really, they are great, awesome.”

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmm.”

“I’ve never had polenta that I’ve liked before, but I love this. And the texture of this frittata is perfect.”

“Titillating.”

I kid you not, every single one of us was elated with our meal. The food was flavored flawlessly. The prices were completely fair. The portions were huge. The presentation was sleek, but not over the top. And the flavor combinations were sophisticated, without being pretentious. In the context of Beyu’s short history, there are already two eras—BC and AC—Before Chef Juan and After Chef Juan. If you haven’t been to Beyu in awhile, give it another try and start with brunch. And if you have only had their dinner, try their brunch. Whatever, your story, just try the brunch.

(Also, a disclaimer—no one in our dining party likes poached eggs, so if someone has had the poached eggs and/or the Eggs DiGuilio, please leave a comment letting diners know your take on the dishes. Thanks!)

Beyu Caffe

335 West Main Street

Durham, NC 27701

www.beyucaffe.com

• Stephanie said:

WOW – great review. I can’t wait to try Beyu now!

• babeshka said:

wow…sounds like Beyu is the new spot for Sunday brunch. Nice to have some other alternatives. I can’t wait to try all of these dishes.

• Bethany said:

I can’t wait to try it. My sister lives there and I must suggest we go here!

• etselec said:

I have been to Beyu previously and have been underwhelmed. I’m glad to hear about the chef change, perhaps I will try it again.

• Megan said:

I had a bad experience there this Sunday. Bad service, and cold food that would have been uninspiring had it been served hot. I’m not in a hurry to go back.

Chef Juan replies on March 2nd, 2011 at 4:37 pm:

Chef Juan Responding: I just want to say that this is the first negative response I have received and I want to apologize for your experience and am completely confident that it was a fluke. If I could find anything constructive in this comment, then I would know exactly how to pinpoint the issue, suffice it to say that I will redouble my efforts with our new brunch service, improving in every way possible, and hopefully avoid any future problems. Please let me or a waiter know if the food is cold. That is a problem that is easily fixed and, in the future, easily avoided and again I am sorry for this experience but am confident that it will not be repeated. I take a lot of pride in the quality and presentation of the food and will work hard to make the experience of every customer an enjoyable one.

Sincerely,

Juan DiGiulio

• Chef Juan said:

Side note: I also want to encourage feedback, positive as well as negative in the light of a New Brunch service at our restaurant that is now only 3 weeks old, reminding customers that, as with anything new in the restaurant industry, just like a new restaurant itself, we will inevitably experience the occasional growing pains, and all comments will help us to shape our new service and create something that will no doubt be one of the most superb places in the Triangle to eat, drink and be merry! Thanks again to all and please try and be constructive so I may do the best job possible of improving our services here at the Beyu!

• DGM said:

We went to Beyu about 3 months ago…the food was really great, but the service left us not wanting to come back. In a market like Durham you really have to be firing on all cylinders…theres just to many good places to eat.

• Eleni said:

I have found the Beyu staff to be very friendly and accommodating. My only suggestion would be to add a vegan item to the brunch list — you’ll gain many faithful brunch-ites! Something like tofu scramble or biscuits & gravy.

• Chef Juan said:

We are definitely working on all of our issues now. I have been here for about 6 months and believe me when I tell you that I’ve had plenty to chew on (no pun intended). I just hope that every new experience at the Beyu will be a pleasant one and if you have an issue with the service, that you will tell a manager on duty so that we are aware of the issue, in order to fix it. I am a fixer, and I will bend over backwards to make my customers happy, seriously. Also, more specific comments are appreciated because the word “service” encompasses a lot of possible meanings as well. Thanks again, Chef Juan

• Chef Juan said:

Thanks Eleni. I will work on that.

• Lynda said:

I’ve been to Beyu before Chef Juan and after Chef Juan. I’d have to say that any bad service is a fluke, because we’ve always had excellent service, and always, always a manager comes by and introduces themselves to see if we have everything we need. On the one occasion we did need something (minor; it was busy and we needed a water refill) the manager took it upon herself to refill the water immediately instead of promising the already overworked wait staff would do it. Beyu seems to have a commitment to customer service that can’t be beat. The food was fine before Juan, but with Juan’s presence it’s WOW, can’t be beat! Altogether a wonderful place with friendly staff, a comfortable atmosphere and fantastic food. Thanks, Beyu!

Chef Juan replies on March 5th, 2011 at 12:01 am:

You’re welcome Lynda and Thanks to YOU! :-) P.S. We’ll be doing some good things this weekend and leading up to Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), this Tuesday, the 8th of Feb! I hooked up some really great Oyster, Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo for ya’ll and some Blackened Mahi Mahi with North Carolina Rock Shrimp in a Creole Veloute!! Laissez Le Bon Temp Roullette!

• Chef Juan said:

P.S. I have been corrected with my French which, in Louisiana you are only required to have up to 4th grade, so mine is pretty much restricted to counting to ten. Soooooo what I meant to say was “Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!!” And I add: “Tout la Nuit”

Thanks People,

Juan

• Monika said:

Chef Juan I would totally have to second Eleni on the vegan options. I love brunch in all its forms but my partner needs good veggie/vegan options to be convinced!

• Erica said:

I haven’t been there for brunch yet, but we went there for snacks/dessert tonight for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised by everything we ate.

We are not vegan, but dairy-free, so seeing all the vegan choices on the menu was great.

The best thing by far though is the VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE!!!! This was probably the BEST vegan dessert I have ever had. Coconut whipped cream and fresh strawberries and berry compote. It was AMAZING! I highly recommend it and I will definitely be back to try some of the other wonderful-sounding dishes on their menu.

• WS said:

I luvvvvv Beyu! I’ve never had bad service and have been going sense it opened! It’s become my second office-the same for many! I’ve never had cold food nor bad service!!!! Food is great and service is even better! The music, artwork, and lectures are awesome. The staff is so friendly and the owner is great! I love their brunch and small plate menu! I highly recommend Beyu!

WS

• RenaissanceGirl said:

Hey Chef Juan,,,can you please bring back the Aztec Soup, it was absolutely fabulous!!!! I use to drive across town just to get a bowl when you were serving it!!!

• JNB said:

FYI – we tried to go there for brunch yesterday (Sunday) and it now shows CLOSED on Sundays. Someone may want to update their website ASAP. Dame’s had a line out the door so we went to Dos Perros instead.

• TLB said:

Yeah, I was also disappointed to see that Beyu has joined the group of restaurants around Durham run by folks who seem to think that no one eats breakfast or brunch before 10 AM. It used to be one of my standbys for an early Saturday breakfast, but now my business will be going elsewhere… not that I have a lot of options. This town desperately needs more options for a real breakfast besides the relatively few that we have.

Kid Stardust replies on June 16th, 2011 at 2:34 am:

#whitepeopleproblems

TLB replies on June 16th, 2011 at 11:15 am:

Right on!

Kid Stardust replies on June 16th, 2011 at 10:20 pm:

See, if this were Carpe Chapel Hill, my snark would have gotten a pissy humorless response. You’re all right, TLB.