Dame’s Chicken and Waffles

Posted by TÜF 11 Nov 2010 21 Comments

I’m not going to beat around the bush here.  Dame’s Chicken and Waffles is awesome.  So awesome, in fact, that Dame’s own website warns its customers, “…be careful, these dishes are truly smack yo’ Mama good!”  Sorry, mom, but I’m inclined to agree.

Dame’s Chicken and Waffles (317 West Main Street) has been open for about about three months and is the new incarnation of the Blue Mountain Catering business which used to operate in the same space on West Main street.  The folks here at Carpe Durham have long been fans of the single, solitary dish of chicken and waffles that was previously served up at BMC (as noted here and here), so it was pretty exciting when the news started to circulate back in June that BMC’s owner, Damien Moore, was opening a new restaurant focused exclusively on variations of the soul food classic.  Although the simple interior atmosphere of Dame’s hasn’t changed much since its days as BMC, the uniquely focused menu is more than enough to keep folks coming back for this kickin’ chicken.

What your eyes are feasting on below is my personal contender for “The Best Breakfast Dish In The Universe”!  On the menu, however, this dish is more commonly recognized as “The Barnyard Honcho”.  This gastronomic gut-bomb consists of  a classic waffle, a juicy, fried chicken cutlet and a side dish of stone ground grits topped with two eggs cooked to order.

My lady dining companion typically doesn’t go for many fried foods, so she ordered the dish inquisitively named, “What A Classy Hen?”, which the menu describes as being “for the mo’ distinguished”.  This selection provides the option to order your chicken cutlet grilled instead of fried.  Like most menu items, the “What a Classy Hen?” comes with your choice of a side dish.  Unfortunately, the collard greens weren’t available on the day we dined, so the  mixed green salad was a nice healthy alternative.  In the picture below, the grilled chicken cutlet might look small, but that’s only because the waffles were mega huge!

The service at Dame’s was swift and attentive, but seems to waffle (!) between counter and table service.  For example, coffee, water and sweet/un-sweet tea are complimentary and self-service affairs.  Meanwhile, soda products are delivered to your table by a server and charged to your bill.  Regardless of the few charming quirks of the place, Dame’s has struck a sweet (and savory) spot on the downtown dining scene and, as its slogan attests, seems to be well on its way to be being “almost world famous”.

317 W. Main St.
Durham, NC, 27701
Phone: 919-682-WAFL (919-682-9235)
E-mail:  info@dameschickenwaffles.com

HOURS
Monday:  11am – 3pm
Tuesday-Thursday:  11am-8pm
Friday-Saturday:  11am-Midnight
Sunday:  11am-3pm
Dame's Chicken & Waffles on Urbanspoon

• Ralph Haygood said:

I agree, Dame’s is excellent. The chicken is tender and juicy, even the cutlets (dryness is the besetting sin of boneless chicken). And the sweet potato waffles are sensational. My only regret is that the syrup is served cold, so it cools the waffles. Dame, if you’re reading this, please warm the syrup!

• Ralph Haygood said:

And by the way, I really appreciate the late hours on Friday and Saturday.

• Jon said:

To correct the poster. Dames charges for sweet/unsweet tea

• MEZ said:

If you need more convincing, there are recent blogs up on Dame’s Chicken and Waffles at both Girls with Guts, Bull City Food, and MasalaWala. They are making a lot of bloggers very happy! I’m bummed I haven’t tried it yet. Soon, my pretty waffles, soon.

• George Vaughan said:

Try the wings and legs. I much prefer those to the cutlets.

• Jonny said:

Been looking forward to trying it and this only makes me hungrier – glad they have hours posted becaues we’ve tried to go 2-3 times and it’s been closed (or renovating). Hot syrup would be bonus – my only question is: do they have hot sauce?

TÜF replies on November 16th, 2010 at 12:59 pm:

Yes, they have plenty of hot sauce but, strangely, they serve it in those same little plastic cups that the syrup is served in. It seems that Dame’s could realize some cost and/or time savings by just putting the syrup in little pitchers and the hot sauce in bottles for each table.

• Daniel said:

I had lunch at Dame’s yesterday and loved it. I ordered the Classy Hen, grilled, with a sweet potato waffle and macaroni and cheese.

The waiter originally brought out fried chicken with my plate, but the fried chicken looked so good (and non-greasy) that I didn’t question it–I dug right in and it was great. When he came back by, he realized the chicken was wrong and offered to correct it. I told him that I was fine with it and not worry about it; next the chef came to the table and wanted to check on everything and I told him that I was loving the fried chicken and not to worry about it, but they still brought me out a plate with a fresh chicken breast on it. The breast was juicy and flavorful as well. You can’t go wrong with either type of chicken.

The sweet potato waffle was amazing (and huge). The macaroni and cheese was better than any other restaurant mac and cheese that I have had in a long time,

The food was amazing and the customer service was very good and genuine, something I sometimes feel Durham establishments could improve upon, and I left very happy and took a great post-chicken and waffles nap. I’ll definitely be going back.

• LKandAS said:

This place is so delicious. I wish he served up real maple syrup (warmed up) though! But regardless, everything on his menu hits the spot.

• Ketan Mayer-Patel said:

Went with my family the weekend before Thanksgiving and enjoyed it, but not quite as much as others here. Don’t want to be a hater, but did anyone else find the waffles just a bit too bready? Fried chicken was excellent and the sauce on mine was sophisticated (can’t remember the name of the dish, but it’s the one featuring almonds).

• Dukie11 said:

Ummmm…YEAAAAA…Very, Very good. The chicken was incredible. I had the Carolina Cockrell which was great. I ordered the Mac N’Cheese for my side. I don’t know about this one yet. I think it had rosemary in it which was a little weird for my buds but I am going back again really soon.

• Quitting Facebook « Sonoma State Law School said:

[...] Trying fried chicken and waffles (with a shout out to a great Durham blog, Carpe Durham). [...]

• Exclusive Interview With Damion Moore Part 1 – Prelude To Dame’s Chicken & Waffles said:

[...] of glowing reports on the Chicken & Waffles dishes at Dame’s can fulfill this quest at Carpe Durham, MasalaWala,  UrbanSpoon,  IndyWeek, Yelp, That”s No Bull, and, as far as I can determine, [...]

• Exclusive Interview With Damion Moore Part 2 – The Chicken And Waffles Blitzkrieg Strategy said:

[...] By all accounts, Dame’s Chicken And Waffles has indeed “planted its flag” (Damion’s term) as the place for chicken and waffles, a culinary destination worth a drive of  two hours or more. (Note: For an outstanding report on and sumptuous photos of the menu offerings at Dame’s, we heartily recommend the review at Carpe Durham.) [...]

• The Gourmez » Blog Archive » Dame’s Chicken and Waffles said:

[...] previous incarnation as Blue Mountain Catering to focus on their chicken and waffles, has garnered so many rave reviews in the last year, that it was in danger of not living up to those silly [...]

• Angela said:

Can you get food to go from here?

• KrellPw said:

Went in two weeks ago and had the Lightbrown Leghorn. It was AMAZING! From a culinary standpoint, I don’t quite understand how chicken, waffles, caramel sauce, and chocolate hazelnut schmear work, but boy do they. Can’t wait for a chance to get back there and try something else!

• Jason said:

Went today and had a sweet potato waffle with maple pecan schmear (sp?) and a fried chicken breast. Seriously, the reviews are dead on as my food was perfect. The mac and cheese was some of the best I’ve ever had in my life and you can bet the sweet tea was delicious. I’m already planning what to have on my next trip.

• Erica said:

I work near there and we go there fairly regularly. I’m even happier now that they have a vegan waffle, which is JUST AS GOOD as the regular ones. I try to avoid most dairy. So if I get grilled chicken and the vegan waffle, I can splurge a little and have the squash & onions that likely has butter…SO GOOD! The schmear is also so good, I always forgo the syrup. My personal favorite is the with almonds and plum sauce…the name of it is escaping now. Bottom line: Go there! :)

• christina said:

Well, we went and probably won’t go back.

This review is spot on about the food – the food is amazing, but the service is really lacking.

We waited for 30 mins outside (to be expected – its a popular place!) in the sweltering heat, and by the time we got inside, we were ready!! The smell of waffles was so enticing.

Unfortunately, we sat for 30 more mins staring at the waiters as they passed us by and served people who were seated 10, 20, 30 mins after us. We tried to get their attention but were ignored. Finally I asked the hostess for a waiter and she said there was some confusion over where the waiters were supposed to work.

We almost walked out, but finally a very confused waiter came over and was kind enough to take out orders even though he wasn’t sure about the situation.

We ended up getting the mac n cheese as the side and waffles with fried chicken (legs for me, chicken breast for my fiance).

The biggest surprise for me was how delicious the mac n cheese was. OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD. so creamy and sharp cheddar!

The waffles were perfection and the chicken was ok. A little too greasy for my taste. If i were to go again, i’d get a carb attack – a waffle and mac n cheese.

I don’t think we’ll be going again though – it just took way too long to get served. Overall, we got there at 7:30 pm on a Friday and didn’t get our food until 9 pm.

• Shawn said:

I’ve been here a couple times and I’ve yet to be disappointed. I knew ahead of time it was going to be a wait or line… ALLL the blogs say this.. I still don’t understand why people continue to cry about that.. The food is perfect and I’ll wait 1 1/2 hours if need to, but it’s not necessary. The hostess will take your phone number and you can leave, go to one of the local bars or just sit in the car and listen to your radio. They will call you when the table is ready guys!!! Works for me!! LOVE THIS PLACE!!! BEST FOOD IN NC!!

PS. I hear they’re opening a 2nd location in Greensboro, NC next month. Lucky them!!!! I recommend the Barnyard Honcho.