Home » Bars, Beer

Fullsteam Brewery

Posted by MEZ 9 Nov 2010 9 Comments

The Entrance

Fullsteam Brewery’s tavern has been open since August, serving up beers that focus on Southern ingredients, from the grains to the produce that sometimes gives them a bit of extra flavor. I’m not a beer drinker, but I am someone who loves to try new things including interesting ingredient combinations. With a line of offerings that have ranged from Carver sweet potato ale and Hogwash hickory smoked porter to Summer Basil farmhouse ale, they’ve got plenty of that! Beers are available at very affordably priced sizes of half-pints ($2), pints ($4), and growlers ($10).

Growlers returned for more grog.

In addition to the beer, Fullsteam has been offering up tamales ($3.50) from Dos Perros that are steamed in Fullsteam’s beer. They also have peanuts, and there’s usually a food truck or two (or four this last weekend because of Troika) around. Joey D’s NY Dogs has taken up nearly daily residence there as well.

I really like Fullsteam’s space; it’s very open with blond wood, creme and red walls, and brick, and three separate rooms: one with picnic tables to bring in your food or order a tamale and enjoy,

one with a stage for live music and an awesome ceiling fan,

and the bar that has a ribbon of dry eraser board just waiting for your next marker masterpiece.

There’s also, of course, the brewery space with towering vats behind a huge wall of glass. Don’t miss the Wall of Awesome near the bar, with names of Fullsteam’s original donors. There are a few pinball machines, too.

It’s a very welcoming space, and even not being a beer drinker, I enjoy hanging out there. They also offer a rotating selection of beers from other local breweries priced at just a dollar more than their own. So far, I’ve liked their Pastinaak Parsnip Ale best, but it hasn’t been seen since the early summer. Such is the lot of a brewery focused on agriculture. I can’t offer an opinion on how good their beer is compared to other local offerings, however, but I can tell you that I’ve successfully made my way through four different pints and that rarely happens.

My husband, who’s a bit of a beer connoisseur, finds Fullsteam’s offerings to be pretty good, liking the basil most out of the four or so he’s tried, but he hasn’t found a favorite as yet. I know they have an awful lot of fans out there, though, as I’m always hearing about rushes to fill those growlers. What’s your opinion of Fullsteam’s wares and space?

Fullsteam Brewery
726 Rigsbee
Central Park District
W–Th: 4 pm to 10 pm, Fri: 4 pm to 2 am
Sat: 12 pm to 2 am, Sun: 12 pm to 10 pm
Website

Reviewed 11.5.10.

• dw said:

The atmosphere at Fullsteam is really great, the perfect place to enjoy a beer and relax. The one down side is that it usually seems understaffed and I have to wait longer than I care to wait for a beer in an uncrowded bar (10 minutes it too long to wait for a pint, when I have a hot brat waiting for me). The lone bartender seems to have trouble juggling growler filling responsibilities and keeping everyone’s pint full. They should get a growler filling hose that would allow the bartender to fill pints while waiting on a growler to fill.

Sean Lilly Wilson replies on November 10th, 2010 at 3:46 pm:

Thanks for the great write-up, MEZ. Pastinaak will be back someday!

dw, we now have a refrigerator in the bar area that we try and keep stocked with pre-filled growlers. That should help ameliorate the growler issue.

If you’re still experiencing delays just to get a pint (other than super-busy times like Troika), please let me know. I’m at sean@fullsteam.ag.

Cheers!

• BVal said:

Bring back the basil, bitches!!!

TSQ75 replies on November 10th, 2010 at 6:16 pm:

my guess is, Basil aint in season Biyatch. ;)

• TSQ75 said:

I know its expecting alot, but i’ll be happy as can be if they can see their way to pouring some wine too. I LOVE the place, even love hanging out there and supporting. but DONT LIKE beer :(

yes, i generally have a handy metal water bottle with wine in it or a flask with booze…lol

Sean Lilly Wilson replies on November 10th, 2010 at 7:18 pm:

THX1138,

We do indeed have wine. A nice Gamay and a Veltliner from 19-year-old Austrian wunderkind winemaker Paul Grüner.

Fun fact: though our long-term plans are to offer food, we serve Dos Perros tamales specifically because we want to serve wine. But for some reason, in order for us to sell wine, the ALE told us we must serve food (but beer on its own doesn’t require food sales).

TSQ75 replies on November 11th, 2010 at 1:51 pm:

well-played on the Lucas reference ;)

• Harry said:

love the beers, and the tavern space.

needed: faster beer service. (not expecting fast food pace or anything but…)

been in 4 times, crowd of 10-25 folks each time (not special event) and getting pints filled has taken a rather long time. (also observed others in there feeling the same way)

I’d gladly pay tipping fees to get a bartender working the tables. I’d drink more beer too, twice I’ve left after a round or two, when I really wanted to stay for another couple rounds, just didn’t want to belly up to the bar and wait…wait….

we’ll see how I feel in winter but I’d rather be a lil cold (or hot in the summer) and sit in the bigger open spaces than in the smallish climate controlled tavern.

Love the open space and picnic table style seating. wouldn’t mind if the video games ski ball whatever disappeared.

looking forward to many years and beers.

• Motorco Music Hall | Carpe Durham said:

[...] is the case with Fullsteam, food truck and cart offerings outside appear to be plentiful, and King’s Sandwich Shop down the [...]