Home » Mobile, Restaurants

Joey D’s NY Dogs

Posted by MEZ 1 Oct 2010 15 Comments

Joey D’s NY Dogs is a new food cart offering freshly grilled, Sahleen brand hot dogs and sausages from Buffalo. Joey’s website declares that they are traditionally “garnished with fewer toppings than in other cities. Why? When grilled, these hot dogs taste good enough to enjoy on their own.”

Joey hopes to expand to more carts and a food truck in the future, but for now, the operation is limited to a portable grill cart and lots of coolers.

Those umbrellas in the back are where Joey D’s NY Dogs are for now. There’s one bench to sit on in the Rock Shop lot, but otherwise, no seating. So unless you are one of those impressive people who can eat a hot dog in two bites, you’re probably best off taking your dogs to go. The options are regular dogs, foot-long dogs, bratwursts, or sausages in the flavors of chicken, spicy kabanosi, italian, and polish. Toppings available are relish, Joey D’s hot dog sauce, ketchup, onions, and yellow, horseradish, or spicy brown mustards. For an extra 50 cents, you can get meat chili, sauerkraut, coleslaw or a combo of green peppers and onions. I ordered a regular dog and a spicy kabanosi sausage both with onions and the hot dog sauce.

The worker grilled both of the dogs as I waited. The hot dog was a light pink color, and it tasted plenty good, obviously better than a boiled one, but that goes without saying. The hot dog sauce is relished-based, mixed up with some mildly spicy red sauce, and I thought it was excellent—the perfect condiment for a hot dog for someone like me who doesn’t like mustard or ketchup.

The grilled flavor was more noticeable, and very welcome, in eating the spicy kabanosi sausage. The charred, slightly crunchy skin was perfect, but I wouldn’t say it was a spicy dog—I’m a heat fiend, so my palate doesn’t recognize something as hot until it’s really hot. Regardless, the meat was great.

I did find Joey D’s a bit lacking in the bread department. Their rolls come from an Ohio company, and they didn’t strike me as anything special, just your standard, chewy, hot dog rolls. If they were grilled and warmed up with the dogs, then I think they’d be much more appealing. Of course, grilled and toasted bread rolls from a local bakery would be ideal, but that might be more than the food cart can handle for now.

I’d love to know if anyone else has given them a try yet. How do the other sausages stack up?

Joey D’s NY Dogs
3121 Hillsborough Road at the Rock Shop lot. On the move!
Website
Dogs and Sausages: $3–$4
Chips and a drink added for an extra $1.25

Reviewed 10.1.10.

• Burger Fiend said:

This is the best review of a hot dog stand that I have ever read. Keep up the great work, guys! It’s great to know that someone is cataloging all the fine cuisine that Durham has to offer.

• Nick D said:

I’ve been to Joey D’s a few times now, and everything I have had has been excellent. The first time I had their Carolina dog with chili and slaw, which was awesome. Just today I saw them set up outside Sam’s (along with OnlyBurger and Bulkogi) and stopped by to get an Italian Sausage with peppers. The sausage was great, and Joey D said it comes from a company in Greensboro. The Kabanosi is next on my list to try, and after this review, the hot dog sauce is also on the list.

Rumor has it that Joey D will be set up at the World Beer Fest next weekend. For anyone going, I’d highly recommend stopping by for a dog or 2. After all, nothing goes better with great beer than a great dog.

• Erica said:

Does anyone know what the hotdogs are made of?

The Gourmez replies on October 3rd, 2010 at 11:24 am:

From Joey D’s website, they are a mixture of pork and beef, but it doesn’t get more particular than that. Hours are 10:30-4:30 M-Sat.

Joey D replies on October 3rd, 2010 at 8:13 pm:

Hi Erica,
    The dogs that we supply are made of prime cuts of pork and beef. The company that makes them for us is Sahlen’s out of Buffalo, NY and pride themselves of the quality beef and pork they make the dogs from. They have been in business for 140 years and supply their dogs to most restaurants in Western New York. We would not sell any product that we would not eat ourselves and truly believe in. I hope you will give us a try and let us know what you think. Thanks.

Joey D.

• John K said:

A Ted’s Hot Dogs I mean, a Joey D’s Hot Dogs in Durham? I just found this out!
    Can’t wait to get there and try you out. I (we) already know they’re good. Just wait till the rest of Durham finds out.
    You’re going to need more help over there. :)

John & Margie of Durham.
    originally from
    Buffalo, NY

Joey D replies on October 17th, 2010 at 8:27 pm:

Hi John and Margie,
    That’s right their Sahlen’s like you would find at Ted’s along with sausages and grilled. Please come see us soon and thanks. We also have Weber’s horseradish mustard from Buffalo. Take care.
    Joey D.

• Joey D said:

Hi Everyone,
    Joey D’s has had to move from the Hillsborough Road location during the day. We will have a new location during the day in the next few days. We are currently operating at the Fullsteam Brewerey on Rigsby Street Wednesdays through Sunday starting at 5:00p.m. until the brewery closes.
    Thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience but we are excited that we will have a new location during the day soon.

mcris replies on October 23rd, 2010 at 6:12 pm:

Enjoyed my kabanosi at the farmer’s market today. Would probably like the polish dog more, so will have to come back soon! I’d also like more heat so if you had hot sauce available, it would be great!

The Gourmez replies on October 26th, 2010 at 2:39 pm:

I can’t leave a call for hot sauce without seconding it. Agreed!

Joey D replies on November 2nd, 2010 at 9:29 am:

We have hot sauce available, just ask and we will more than happy to provide. Thanks for the nice comments.

Joey D’s

• Joey D said:

Announcing the new daytime location for Joey D’s. Starting today, November 2nd we will be located Monday through Friday from 11:00 until 2:00p.m. and beyond depending on how hungry everyone is on the corner of Erwin Road and LaSalle Street next to the Suntrust Bank. We are very excited about this new location so walk up and get a grilled hotdog or sausage and enjoy.

• Fullsteam Brewery | Carpe Durham said:

[...] and there’s usually a food truck or two (or four this last weekend because of Troika) around. Joey D’s NY Dogs has taken up nearly daily residence there as [...]

• tsq75 said:

Thanks alot, Durham. Sorry Joey D…I really liked your dogs! :(

• kominek said:

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!