Home » Mobile

Don’s Italian Ices

Posted by DID 7 Aug 2010 15 Comments

There’s a new way to beat the heat and a new truck on the mobile scene in DurhamĀ - Don’s Italian Ices. Former Park Diner owner Don Mazzia has started churning out homemade, fresh, semi-healthy (lots of agave and organic options) Italian Ices and selling them around town.

Flavors include classics like blueberry and strawberry ($2 for a large cup) and fancier options like organic kalawi peach, tart cherry vanilla and more ($3 a cup). This Saturday at the farmer’s market, Don had a total of nine flavors and was more than happy to share and let patrons sample.

We sampled the peach, strawberry agave, tart cherry and banana vanilla. All made with fresh fruit, the agave versions were a little sweeter than the classic sugar variety. The tart cherry was my favorite, but we ordered a cup of the banana vanilla.

Don’s is a welcome addition to the mobile scene and he says he’ll be set up every Wednesday night/Saturday morning at the farmer’s market and most evenings with Bulkogi at the Wachovia on Ninth St. or at Sam’s Quik Stop. The best way to find him, as with any food truck, is to follow him on Twitter at donsclassicices.

• Joe said:

tried these guys at the last roundup, definitely pretty good. Didn’t have quite as many flavors, but believe they said it was their second day. Be a nice follow up to korean tacos

• Beth said:

These ices are very, very good. We’ve had banana vanilla, lemon, peach, multi-berry, strawberry, and blueberry. I wish I had one right now!

• burgeoningfoodie said:

The size looks a little skimpy to me.

TSQ75 replies on August 10th, 2010 at 8:51 am:

the size is about on par with the italian ices i got from the pizza places growing up in queens…

but where’s the lemon and the rainbow!

DID replies on August 10th, 2010 at 2:49 pm:

Keep in mind the two reds were sample freebies he scooped out for us when we debated which flavor to try. The banana was the only one we paid for and it was larger than it looks it that picture.

burgeoningfoodie replies on August 12th, 2010 at 3:36 pm:

I guess so if it covers all four fingers.

• Samantha said:

Which farmer’s market? There are several in the area.

DID replies on August 12th, 2010 at 9:39 am:

Durham’s Farmer’s Market. Weds. 3:30-6:30 and Saturdays 8 am – Noon at Central Park.

9/9 replies on August 12th, 2010 at 2:05 pm:

I am curious, what other farmer’s markets are in Durham?

DID replies on August 16th, 2010 at 11:44 am:

I haven’t been but there is this one:

Live for Life Farmers Market (Fridays)
    Featuring locally-grown fruits and vegetables, potted flowers and plants, sweet honey, baked breads and healthy lunches. Guest presentations highlighting the unique talents of Duke employees/students will be scheduled throughout the season.
    August 13, 2010
    11am-2pm.
    Green space beyond Mudd Library near the Bryan Research Center, Duke University
    (919) 684-3136

• SK said:

I tried a lemon ice at the Weds market yesterday, and it was very good.

Generous serving, lots of fresh lemon juice and zest, a very refreshing way to walk around the market on a hot day.

Definitely looking forward to trying some of the other flavors

• Tim Bjorklund said:

These are the best you can get!! And some mighty fine people also…. support em!!

• klhen said:

Had the raspberry-kiwi and it won me over! I had never been a fan of Italian ice because most tasted watered down or artificial. After reading the reviews of Don’s, I decided to give it a shot, and I’m so glad I did! The raspberry-kiwi was incredibly flavorful, and I could taste both the raspberry and the kiwi, which isn’t always the case in flavor combos. And I agree with the above poster–the man running the stand was super friendly. I will definitely be back for more.

• @sweetbabboo said:

Oh so yummy. I’ve had several different flavors as my family tends to share slurps. The best is definitely lemon but blueberry is a close second.

-Abby

• Paul said:

Had the Lemon Lavender and it was freakin’ awesome. Just an amazing and refreshing combination on a hot summer day!