La Monarcha

Posted by DID 18 Jul 2010 21 Comments

In what used to be a panderia across from Compare Food off Roxboro Rd. there is now a paleteria called La Monarcha. A colorful window advertises paletas, ice cream, aguas frescas, frozen bananas and more.

Inside we were greeted by freezer after freezer of frozen treats. From a quick count and estimate, La Monarcha has over 30 flavors of popsicles and 25 flavors of ice cream – maybe more. You pick out your own popsicles and they are $2 a piece. The cases were full with every color in the rainbow. Flavors aren’t labeled, but many were easy to figure out based on the color, fruit or nut in them. We chose a strawberry, dulce de leche and pistachio. (I did overhear another customer asking for pineapple chile in spanish.)

The strawberry was fresh and full of fruit, the dulce de leche was rich and indulgent and the pistachio was creamy, a bit salty and contained probably half of cup of the nut.

Note: We swapped out the walnut on the left for a strawberry.

On a Sunday afternoon, there was a young family behind the cases. None of them spoke English very well, but with the self-serve popsicle cases it wasn’t really a problem. La Monarca’s card says they’re open every day, but doesn’t list hours. It would be a great stop after a taco at Los Comales or La Superior and I look forward to trying the some of the less easily distinguishable flavors and the ice cream.

2000 Avondale Dr., Suite P

Durham, NC 27704

(919) 491-1161

• MEZ said:

Ooh, sounds great!

• Sant said:

Do they make them themselves or are they resellers? If the latter I’d rather get them from the small freezer case at Los Comales because they are only a $1 there, or go over to LocoPops.

TSQ75 replies on July 20th, 2010 at 9:17 am:

I was wondering the same thing, seeing as how the Paleta guy that rolls through my neighborhood usually has the resells, as well as the taquerias…but I’m tempted to say they make them in house (or nearby-in-house), based on the pic. the resell ones are generally in sealed plastic wrappings, and usually have print or designs on the wrap

Rita Landeta replies on July 9th, 2014 at 12:20 pm:

Hi, I Know the owner she is from my country in Mexico and her whole family has been making Ice Cream since I can remember, it goes from generation to generation and she just went from working at a Restaurant to Making her own Ice cream and having a shop of her Own. I hope this helps.

DID replies on July 20th, 2010 at 9:18 am:

I think they make them themselves, but someone with better Spanish than myself will have to verify. They aren’t sealed, mass produced, branded popsicles. They come in the same open bags as those as Locopops and were just as good. Locopops is still a must for interesting flavor combos and innovative ideas, but for more variety on a daily basis La Monarcha is worth a stop. The pops were really tasty.

• DID (author) said:

Also of note – the ice cream looked homemade too as it was in large metal containers, not cardboard or paper boxes.

• Peter said:

I was there on a Saturday afternoon a few days after they opened.

There was a teenage girl working behind the counter who spoke fluent English.

According to what she told me, they do make the popsicles and ice cream themselves.

I don’t think the popsicles are all $2 each; I think the price varies based on the type, but they could have changed that.

I do wish that some of these new businesses would label what they are selling and post their prices.

• Sant said:

I forgot to say this before, thanks for the find.

• diana said:

HEY GUYS, I WORK AT THE MONARCA MICHOACANA ICE CREAM. THE NAME OF LA MONARCA MICHOACANA COMES FROM MICHOCAN MEXICO BECAUSE IS WHERE THE BUTTERFLYS MONARCA MIGRATE DURING WINTER FROM CANADA TO MICHOCAN, MEXICO. WE HAVE ALMOST 36 DIFFERENT FLAVORS IN ICE CREAM AND 32 FLAVORS IN POPSICLES. EVERYTHING IS HOMEMADE WITH NATURAL FRUIT. SO COME VISIT AND TASTE OUR GRAND VARITY OF FLAVORS !!!!!:)THANK YOU

• Freddie said:

This place is my favorite. I live right near it in the Colonial Village neighborhood and am in love with the Mango Chili, Tamarind, and Blackberry…

Not sure about prices though cause it seems sometimes they charge $1.50 and a couple times $2.00…I know for a fact they charged my wife $2.00 one time…

Tooth replies on July 30th, 2010 at 8:43 am:

I think the pricing you are referring to is called “the gringo tax”. I’ve experienced it myself at many taquerias where the prices aren’t specifically mentioned on the menu board.

TSQ75 replies on July 30th, 2010 at 11:56 am:

LMAO

gringa replies on August 5th, 2010 at 11:42 am:

necessary, TSQ75?

• Joanna said:

I just went to La Monarca today and thought it was great.

The non-cream popsicles are $1.50, the cream ones are $2. Everything is made in house.

They’re going to put up pricing and labels but the company they ordered them from hasn’t sent them yet.

They don’t have a website yet but apparently there’s a facebook page. I couldn’t find it though.

We’ll be going back. I hope their business is a success.

Melissa replies on August 11th, 2010 at 9:12 pm:

I agree, I hope there business is a success as well!

• Melissa said:

We went there today with 6 children and two adults. We had a great experience! We got a variety of flavors and everyone was very happy! The lady that was behind the counter didn’t speak fluent English, but she did answer our questions and was very helpful. I definitely recommend it!

• Peg said:

These popsicles are SOOOO good and very reasonably priced. Everything is homemade. I hope they do well and become a Durham fixture! I plan to take the whole family–often.

• Sant said:

What’s great about this place is that they have savory popcicles too. For example, the the chili mnago popcicle is not sweet at all. Great for those of us watching our carbs.

• VanBriggle said:

I stopped by this afternoon and had a pistachio. It was delicious! I’ll definitely be going back.

Thanks for pointing this one out. I probably would have never found it on my own.

• emily said:

I had a fresa/leche mini paleta, which was about the size of my index+middle fingers put together and cost $0.50. delicious! will come back for more.

they seem to be open pretty late, from about 9-10am to 9-10pm.

• gilberto said:

hola, las paletas y los helados estan muy bueno,las senoras a tienden muy bien,pero una muchachita que trabaja con ellas, me atendio muy mal quiso darme lo que ella quizo,y tuvimos una discucion,cuando yo trabajo ttrato de ser amble no importa si estoy cansada o no, mi consejo es que trabaje mejor, por que mi esposa yano quiere ir mas ala paleteria cuando la muchacha esta,