Ocean Ave. – CLOSED

Posted by DID 19 Apr 2010 14 Comments

Pretty close to the SEEDS garden and Triangle Brewery on Alston Ave. is a tiny green cinder block building called Ocean Ave. Fish, Shrimp, Chicken & More.

You park in back and walk around to the tiny window to place your order. It’s take out only. On a Monday night there was just one friendly, smiling woman taking orders and frying fish.

A small dinner (two pieces of fish) comes with two sides, two slices of white bread and your choice of tea or lemonade. A small dinner costs only $5.75. I chose fried okra and green beans with whiting fish and my husband ordered the trout dinner with macaroni and fried okra. We also ordered a slice of homemade pound cake. On the night we were there, they had lemon and strawberry for a dollar a slice.

We placed our order, paid (cash only) and were told it would be ready in seven minutes.

The fish was honestly some of the best I’ve had with a salt and peppery breading, lightly fried. The okra seemed fresh, the greens beans had a nice red pepper kick and the macaroni was buttery and satisfying. The cake was dense and sweet and exactly what you want from a pound cake.

This would be a pretty great stop before the Triangle Brewery’s Saturday tours, the next SEEDS open house or really anytime you’re craving fried fish. They also have fried chicken, wings and shrimp options. From the quality of the fish, I would guess these wouldn’t disappoint.

At only $15 total with tax and tip, Ocean Ave. is a whale of a deal and worthy of a visit.

1301 North Alston Avenue

Durham, NC 27701-2610

(919) 682-5452

• Mike said:

Mmmm makes me think of fish n chips from England…

• patrick said:

seems like fish on a monday, from a depressing cinder block bldg……seems like a whole bowl of wrong.

DID replies on April 20th, 2010 at 9:03 am:

Nah Patrick. Fish on a Monday = awesome. Quick, cheap dinner = a whole bowl of right.

And inside that cinder block building was the most cheerful, smiling face that you’ve ever seen on a Monday night working in a fish shack.

TSQ75 replies on April 21st, 2010 at 8:27 am:

why even say anything man?

• burgeoningfoodie said:

If that is lightly fried fish, what does deeply fried fish look like? Sounds tasty and seeing as you were alive to post a reply.. it didn’t kill you. I think Monday would be better than mid-week if it’s fresh fish than they had time to catch it.

DID replies on April 20th, 2010 at 1:31 pm:

I meant lightly fried in that it didn’t feel/taste greasy as we were eating it or leave us feeling weighed down.

• Mat said:

Just went there today based on this write-up and it was good!

A little greasier than I had anticipated, but not much. The smiling lady was the only one there again, and she was as cheerful as ever.

By the way, the “small” portion of fish is two good-sized pieces, easily enough for a meal. Only go for the large if you want to split. (I’m a 175 lb guy).

I had the whiting, and it was good, although there was one bone in there, so beware of eating too quickly.

Thanks for the post

• Jen said:

Thanks so much – I have been wondering about this place!

• A.Lee said:

Delicious! Had Friday supper here and boy was it good! The people running it are real sweet too!

• judas_escargot said:

Anyone know what the hours are like?

• RG said:

We stopped by on Saturday…they were having an off day, but it was solid. The fish was really fresh and the collards were spot on. The one thing I dont understand is why would an establishment offer INSTANT sweet tea!!!

DID replies on April 26th, 2010 at 11:01 am:

Sorry – my fault RG – I should have mentioned the instant tea. The lemonade is better, but still instant. I think I’m just more tolerant of instant lemonade than instant tea.

• R Becklund said:

The fish and macaroni looks killer, reminds me of Quality seafood here in Austin TX. Good fried fish is soooo good.

• gabefarkas said:

I stopped by this past Friday to try it out.

One thing to mention is that the address is 1301 North Alston, not 1310. Given that it’s not exactly the kind of neighborhood where you want to drive around looking lost, I thought this would be worth mentioning.

As for the food, there’s good and bad. The good is that it was indeed tasty and met my expectations. The bad was that even though I ordered the large, which is supposed to be 3 pieces of fish, when I got home I discovered they only gave me 2.