Libby’s Too

Posted by DID 11 Feb 2010 13 Comments

img_1543

You kind of just know a place is going to be good when every time you drive by, the parking lot is packed with white utility trucks; and such was the case with Libby’s Too.

Libby’s Too is located right at the Durham/Orange county line in a brick, nondescript building where HWY 70 turns into Hillsborough Rd. It’s a no-frills, 12-table room where you order at the counter. Open for breakfast and lunch, Libby’s is cash only and most of the meals come on styrofoam plates.

img_1542

At breakfast you can get a sausage/bacon/fatback biscuit and an egg for less than $5 and at lunch you can choose the daily rotating meat and two with a tea for $8 or order from the menu of hot dogs, hamburgers, bbq and bologna sandwiches. The service was friendly and most of the other patrons seemed to be regulars and retirees. There was a pitcher of sweet tea on every table.

img_1537

Based on a quick survey of the room, I ordered the hamburger steak with mashed potatoes and green beans. My dining companions chose the hot dogs and bbq sandwich with fries. My mashed potatoes were outstanding – buttery, just salty enough and most importantly – not instant. The green beans were tasty too with just a hint of pork. The hamburger steak, two small patties doused in some sort of mushroom gravy, was just ok. The hot dogs were the bright red variety and the chili looked homemade. I was assured the eastern-style bbq sandwich was solid and the fries were surprisingly thick and fresh-cut, not frozen.

img_1538

img_1539

img_1540

If you happen to be driving by around breakfast or lunch, Libby’s Too is definitely worth a stop.

Be warned: If you’re a Tar Heel fan and have trouble eating while surrounded by Duke memorabilia, this is not the place for you. Also if anyone knows why it’s “Libby’s Too” and not just “Libby’s,” I’m curious.

4910 Hillsborough Rd., Durham, NC, 27705

(919) 383-8838

• Justin said:

I would speculate that the “too” denotes a second location as a play on 2.

Daniel HH replies on April 30th, 2015 at 5:49 pm:

Well, I read on the newspaper near the bathrooms and on my own research, the Libby’s Too title is just an intentional misspelling of the word two, because she used to have multiple restaurants at once, and this is the lone child of the awesomeness.

• DID (author) said:

Yeah that’s my thought too, I meant more like “who’s libby?” and “what happened to Libby’s 1?” I couldn’t find anything online.

• D said:

There is a Libby Hill seafood so it may be related to that, I recall folks referring to them as “Libby’s”.

• shawful said:

I ate here once for breakfast. It was basic and a little overpriced. Late in the morning, they were out of biscuits. The lady behind the counter was somewhat coarse.

• Tonya said:

Libby is my Aunt…. she owned another restaurant in East Durham a few years ago it was opend befor the one on Hillsbourgh rd was it was called libby’s…. then a few years later she opend up libbys’s Too. Then a few years went on the the location on the original Libbys ogt so bad she had to shut it down and so now its just libbys too . so thats why its called libbys too :) and we area a family oriented restaurant its me my aunt libby and my aunt cathy she is libbys sister that work there. and the food is not too pricey its priced just right for a small restaurant and the lady behind the counter is my aunt libby and shes not course she just tells it like it is. and far as you came in for a late for breakfast thats probly why we didnt have any biscuts we sold out afet 10 the chance of a biscuit is slim we usually sell them all befor 9:30. but other then that i hope you all come in and see us

shawful replies on April 4th, 2010 at 11:15 am:

Coincidently, I just tell it like it is too.

• DID (author) said:

Thanks for the info. Tonya. When I was there, everyone was very friendly.

• lit'l dave said:

give’em hell libby, food’s great and if it’s too pricey tell’em to go somewhere’s else

• James Glenn said:

The best food around, Great hot dogs and french fries.Try it. I’m sure you’ll come back for more. Chicken Dumplins on wednesday, w/chopped onions. mmmmmm.

• Captain Dave said:

I eat at Libby’s at least twice a week, and sometimes four times, and I think the original reviewer did a good job of capturing the spirit of the place.

My personal favorite there is chicken and dumplings on Wednesdays, and the beef and vegetable soup, which is served only in the fall and winter, is excellent. If you are lucky enough to be there on a day when they have squash casserole, you must try it. As a rule, I don’t like squash, but Libby has made a believer out of me. I don’t like broccoli either, but I expect one day I’ll be daring and give the broccoli casserole a try.

At breakfast time you can get your standard eggs any way you want ‘em with bacon, sausage or ham, but they also have pancakes or waffles, which are great on a Saturday when they are open for brunch only. At lunch they always have a good selection of sides, usually a few greens and vegetables, several starches like potatoes and macaroni salad, and one or two kinds of beans.

As someone alluded to earlier, it is pretty much first-come first-served, so if you get there after 1 p.m., a few of the most popular items will be crossed off the menu board. But never fear, if you miss your favorite then you’ll have a chance to try something new.

judas_escargot replies on September 21st, 2011 at 2:15 pm:

They get a pretty good size crowd there for breakfast? Can’t get a sense of the seating, but the place looks rather small as those places usually are.

• Dot Watson said:

Best place in Durham for old fashioned home cooking.