Home » Reports, Restaurants

Restaurant Openings Report

Posted by RPP 9 Feb 2010 9 Comments

Restaurants

ASIAN KITCHEN (1125 W. NC HWY 54 SUITE 801, DURHAM, NC, 27707)
CAPRICCIO (3820 N. ROXBORO RD., DURHAM, NC, 27704)

Foodstands

POLLOS LA CARBONERA (606 FAYETTEVILLE RD., DURHAM, NC, 27701)
(Replacing Bull City Wings?)

Mobile

JAMAICA JAMAICA OSORIO MFU (4853 S. APEX HWY., DURHAM, NC, 27713)

*DISCLAIMER: Presence on this list indicates that a restaurant has been inspected, not that it is necessarily open for business today (although it usually is).

• Nando said:

I’ll give Asia Kitchen a try this week, maybe even tomorrow. When I do, I’ll report back here.

• Jeni said:

For anyone interested, I visited Cappricio last night.

For an enormous dish of pasta in a family environment, Pomodoro has them beat (quantity-wise). For a freshly prepared, perfectly cooked and seasoned wide selection of dishes, Pop’s has them beat. They need to work on their niche. I’ll be back though.

Full review on my blog here:

• judas_escargot said:

I still miss Bull City Wings… they had some of the best in the area!

• apathy said:

I was at pollos la carbonera the other day, its pretty good overall. The pastor was really good for Durham, the chicken tacos were also pretty good, they did have a nice char on them. They make their own corn tortillas and salsas which were both good. I’m going again for sure, but then again I live really close. i recall it being pretty cheap, but probably in the same 1 – 3 dollar per taco range like other family run places in town.

They also serve tortas and hambergers (with torta style topings) which both looked really good but it was raining and I wanted tacos.

It looked like the menu may be temporary, but I enjoyed what they had.

TSQ75 replies on February 14th, 2010 at 10:05 pm:

pineapple in the pastor?

apathy replies on February 16th, 2010 at 10:17 pm:

sadly no, but the flavor was better than most. I would give my right arm for someone who would make pastor on a gyro roaster like they do in the Yucatan. But yeah, it was pretty good here.

• David said:

I went to pollos la carbonera tonight (Feb 15) and got a chicken taco since I live nearby in Forest Hills. It was quite tasty and I recommend that you patronize this new business. The young lady who took my order via the drivethru was very nice, helping me navigate the menu on the exterior of the drivethru (printed menus are on order), gave me a business card, and said that if I liked it, I could google them and leave comments. The char-grilled chicken was cooked just right, flavored well, slightly spicy, with onions, spices, cilantro, and some verde sauce on the side. I think this place will do well. Just look for the BRIGHT orange and yellow building on Fayetteville Road and try them out. I was very pleased.

• Rich said:

Asian Kitchen

My wife and I got takeout from Asian Kitchen yesterday. While in the restaurant briefly she complained of the strong smell of new furniture.

While we were very satisfied with the entrees and egg rolls, I was disappointed with the fried rice, which was simply white rice with some soy sauce tossed on it, and not what I would think fried rice is.

• Pollos La Carbonera | Carpe Durham said:

[...] picnic tables to sit at that provide a nice view of downtown and a breeze. Carpe Durham had some good comments on the food soon after they [...]