C&H Cafeteria

Posted by DID 13 Jan 2010 16 Comments

img_1129

Cafeterias are magical places.

I know, I know – you hate them. Everyone under a certain age claims to hate them. But there’s something about walking into a joint, finding rows and rows of food on display, ready for the taking, that is well, you have to admit, a bit magical.

Or that’s the thinking with which I approached the C&H Cafeteria, just behind Northgate mall. I read online that it’s part of a family-owned chain of three cafeterias that started in Kernersville just eight years ago, which to me sounded promising for southern-style comfort food. Based on C&H’s website, I had high hopes (maybe too high) and last Wednesday night, I dragged my husband there for a quick, cheap dinner before a movie at the mall.

img_1132

And that it was – quick and cheap. It was exactly what you expect from a cafeteria – long lines of fluorescent Jello, ten different meat options, mashed potatoes, macaroni and pies – oh, the pies.

img_1133

My husband and I each ordered four vegetables, cornbread/roll and tea. Our total for two trays full of food? Just over twelve dollars; maybe the seniors are onto something.

img_1136

The mashed potatoes and the fried zucchini were the stand-outs. The potatoes were definitely homemade and the zucchini had a great, spicy flavor and a crunchy bite. The macaroni was also pretty good, but when is macaroni not good? The tea was solid, as was the cornbread. This review is hurt by the fact that neither of us saved room for the pie or tried a meat dish, but next time. There was also a $4.99 Wednesday night Lasagna and Salad Special I spied on a few other tables that looked really tasty.

img_1137

There was nothing spectacular about the meal, but it was a good deal with friendly service and more food than we could eat. Will C&H be a regular in our rotation? No. But it is a good and cheaper alternative to the Boston Market next door.

C&H Cafeteria
1720 Guess Rd
Durham, NC 27701
(919) 286-7303

• Sant said:

I’d rather grab a couple of bulldogs, apple turnover, and ice tea from the Dog House down the street.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

How does it stack up to K&W? That is the only cafeteria I’ve been in that wasn’t part of a major museum.

judas_escargot replies on January 14th, 2010 at 10:14 am:

Well, DID did refer to it as “C&W” there at the end, not sure if that was by design or not. Years ago I used to be quite the fan of Morrison’s Cafeteria, myself.

burgeoningfoodie replies on January 14th, 2010 at 3:26 pm:

That was somewhat funny to read.. DID did :-p No offense meant.

judas_escargot replies on January 15th, 2010 at 10:24 am:

I know, it reads like I put emphasis on the wrong ‘did’

Melody replies on January 15th, 2010 at 2:25 pm:

K&W is probably my least favorite place to eat. Ever. I am proud to report my visit to C&H got me singing a different tune regarding cafeteria food. I had some fried Catfish, okra, mac’n'cheese (kind of obligatory at a cafeteria, don’t you think?), and some collard greens. I’m gonna tell you as a true Southerner, it did me proud. Still don’t love cafeterias, but it’s a great cheap Sunday lunch option.

TSQ75 replies on January 15th, 2010 at 3:19 pm:

if you can manage the massive after church crowd line that forms!

• DID (author) said:

totally a slip up on my part!

• amyindurham said:

My husband and I go here every so often. For a cafeteria, it’s great. My favorite is the fried chicken and the hamburger steak. The desserts are awesome too. You’ll have to go back and try more than just the veggies! However, I will say that once you add meat and dessert, it’s no longer as cheap as you think. Still a good price, but not a steal.

• tom said:

the $4.99 Wednesday night Lasagna and Salad Special looks pretty economical. must try it.

online coupons

• sue said:

i think the C&H Cafeteria is really good. Me personally i loved the cafeteria that was located in raleigh. The people there were great so sad that it is no longer there. Need to reopen one soon in raleigh again!

• Randy said:

Very good food.Problem when you cant order a childs plate. Some people prefer not to eat a full serving. If you do get a childs plate the Childs plate police will come to your table and verify your children. Not really needed as far as I can tell

• Linda Brown said:

I just visited Kernersville location. A squished bug was in my napkin. I took it to the manager who refused to give me and my friend our meals free. We left the food in the booth and the receipts on the counter with cashier. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I did not cause a scene but if I’d known he was going to do nothing and expect us to eat and pay after having a napkin with a squished buy he is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY and I would have told the entire cafeteria. I hope the owner fires his black ass and that you teach your managers properly how to handle these types of situations. The least would have been to apologize which he didn’t do and take care of our bills. Sorry, we will NEVER return and I will be telling the other teachers at my school, all my friends, and associates what happened to us today.

judas_escargot replies on August 7th, 2013 at 3:07 pm:

Is it possible that the bug crawled out of your armpit and then into the napkin, where you squashed it by mistake?

Bob replies on August 17th, 2013 at 8:57 am:

I hope you and your teacher friends all get your white asses fired, is that the way teachers talk now? So, if he would have given you free food you would have stayed and eaten it and forgot all about the bug? You’re pathetic and should keep your ass at home.
    White Bob

• Berean said:

Recovering Piccadilly, Morrison’s, and K&W addict. C&H surpasses them all by a lot. K&W places hot food on a cold plate. Not good. Morrison’s went down hill and no longer in business or in this area. Piccadilly was terrific located in South Square Mall but vegies were in too much grease. C&H really hits the mark. Good prices, quality, value, service, variety, etc. Fried Chicken rivals Mama Dips in CH!!
    Berean