Home » Groceries, Restaurants

Halgo Polish Mart – Part 2

Posted by DID 1 Dec 2009 9 Comments

img_0702

So someone else wrote about Halgo over a year ago, but thanks to a recommendation from a friend I finally checked it out for lunch today.

This cute Polish market has a freezer case full of 10 types of pierogies – the blueberry and sweet potato caught my eye – and a sign out front invites visitors in, reading “Polish Perogi – You can’t love’m unless you try ‘em.”

img_0705

But today we were there for the hot kielbasa and kraut sandwiches. You do have to call ahead for these, but they are more than happy to make them for you and will have them waiting when you arrive. At $6.75, this oversized sandwiched stuffed with delicious sausage and fresh kraut is a steal. It’s a fresh loaf, slathered with spicy mustard and overflowing with meaty goodness and a mild, buttery kraut. It’s a treat and half of the sandwich was more than enough for lunch.
img_0711

4520 S. Alston Ave.
Durham, NC 27713
919-321-2014

Note: Halgo is take-out only. They also have a $10 card minimum and are closed on Mondays.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

Sounds yummy too bad they aren’t so nearby. They are also closed I believe on the weekend or at least Sunday.

• as melhores receitas said:

adorei seu site, gostei muito mesmo…nw se esqueça de visitar o receitas e cia…obrigado.

Nando replies on December 3rd, 2009 at 11:34 am:

Portuguesse?

• Elizabeth said:

I second the kielbasa sandwich. The best on a cold day. I like that there’s a grocery at Halgo, but wish there was a place to eat. Maybe if they added a couple of tables outside. The “I Dream of Weenie” Weenie stand in Nashville offers a basket of blankets that you can use for your own picnic. Halgo has a nice yard, they could do that too.

• Zezinho said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, this is Portuguese. It says “I adored your website. I liked it quite a bit. Don’t forget to visit the website Receitas Ecia. Thank you”

The site Receitas Ecia is a Brazilian website with lots of good recipes. Only useful if you know Portuguese.

• Sus said:

I absolutely love this place. The owners are super nice. It would be nice if they arranged the shop in such a way as to accommodate a few tables and chairs – it would make the place a bit cozier, but i suspect there are health codes and such they would have to meet. If you can eat pork, the sliced meat and cheese counter is awesome. They’ll let you taste anything – as a matter of fact, they practically insist on it. On Fridays you can find some of the owner’s baked goods. I know I’m going to have to call ahead now to reserve mine because if you like European baked goods, you will LOVE the Zcarlotka (can’t spell this! pronounced: charlottka)- it’s an apple cake to die for – not too sweet, as is common with European baked goods. She also makes delicious ground walnut butter cookies. There are a few others, but these two are my favorites. She’ll tell you how best to prepare the pierogies. Listen to her advice! They are delicious.

Box replies on December 8th, 2009 at 5:10 pm:

I concur. I went in the other day and told her I had never had Polish food and wanted to try some. She took me around the store, suggested some pierogies and told me how to cook them, some mustard and then had me try some of the keilbasa until I found what I liked (which did not take long).

A wonderful store, run by a very nice lady. Will be going back as soon as I work my way through my last purchases.

• Chris said:

A Polish food market in my back yard! What could make this Polish girl from Chicago feel better?!! To have a place to buy pierogis, Polish sausage and just about anything else my heart could desire.
    I’ve been visiting Halgo since it opened and it’s a dream come true!!

The owners are a dream team who just want to make their customers happy. They couldn’t be nicer and will always tempt you to taste test something from the deli area. What makes it even better is it’s right in my backyard. Thank you Universe for hearing my pleas!!

The pierogi selection is the best!! If you can’t find what you’re looking for here you won’t find it anywhere else in the Triangle insofar as Polish food goes.

I love that they’re also serving some hot and cold sandwiches and pierogis so you can try things out! Check them out, you won’t be disappointed.

• Elouise said:

My husband bought some pate, 2 different types of kiebasa, babka, smoked fish, pierogi, and cookies. First time I’ve had the real Polish babka since childhood and what a treat! It is all delicious.