Home » Coffee, Restaurants

Vita Dolce, yes, it’s in the mall

Posted by CDB 25 Jul 2009 6 Comments

Hard to believe, I know–the SouthPoint mall.  But where there is awesome, Carpe Durham will risk life and aversion therapy to get it.

p1040049

Vita Dolce has been around for about a year and a half and I’ve been shamelessly enjoying it for most of that time without ever posting on it.  What once seemed like a bit of a secret within the mall, there is now a preponderance of advertisements for the tasty treats at the gelateria (incidentally, most of the ads are not for the gelato, exactly).  The marketing is pretty witty, though.  And coming from a local family business it is actually quite impressive (the original location was in Carrboro).

p1040044

Beyond having superb, fresh gelato, they manage to have a true cafe feel.  Sitting at the bar with an espresso and healthy serving of gelato, I’ve often forgotten I wasn’t back in Buenos Aires whiling away an afternoon.

p1040045

I never veer far from either the amazing Banana Stracciatella (fresh banana, chocolate chips), the Baci (chocolate hazelnut), or the Espresso.  Though the Lemon is possibly the best representation of the fruit I’ve tasted–it is fresh and shocking.

Occasionally there are a few casualities to being in the mall, particularly the rush periods that get a little noisy (and then spur a fresh batch of gelato to be made in its mixers that the back wall doesn’t fully dampen).  But I’d rather have a rare run in with these minor nuisances than see this sweet little spot go.

• TSQ75 said:

um….what mall?

CDB replies on July 25th, 2009 at 8:22 pm:

SouthPoint. I cleared it up at the top. My bad. Good lookin’ out!

• Jonn said:

YES!! i love this place..especially the espresso gelato. I wish it was somewhere closer in..but oh well. And its so beautifully designed for a mall shop.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

I’m glad that they put a place in the mall as their branch in Southern Village is some what tucked away from the general public.

• megan said:

I love their amadeaus gelato!

• chris said:

wow. I had a wonderful visit talking with the nice workers there. Also inside I noticed a sanitation grade of 101.5 and my latte was a 10.