Home » Bars, Restaurants

The Remedy Diner, Raleigh

Posted by KAP 5 Jul 2009 9 Comments

Ok, so I know this blog is not called Carpe Raleigh or Carpe Triangle but sometimes a trip outside of Durham is warranted when we don’t have anything that comes close to a food offering that is located in a nearby city.

Personally, I have always dreamed of opening my own veggie diner. It would seem that the Remedy Diner has already beaten me to it in Raleigh (that’s of course, not to say we still couldn’t use such a place in Durham). The Remedy sits on the corner of Hargett and Blount in downtown Raleigh. It’s a small diner with a few booths, tables and some outside seating. It’s important to note they are not just vegetarian and have plenty of meaty options. I’ve been there twice now.

On my first trip I shared some veggie nachos. They got all the proportions right (no chips left with no toppings to eat). I also shared a veggie meatball sub and they apparently make the veggie meatballs in house – something I really appreciated.

During my second trip, there were three of us, so we could try even more from the menu. I had the veggie reuben. It had tempeh, cheese, good kraut on it and huge pickle chunks. The rye bread was thin and toasted. I only wished the tempeh had been a little thinner because I think the flavor of the tempeh would have been less bland. Overall though, I liked it. I had some tomato and dill soup on the side which I enjoyed but I personally prefer a creamier tomato soup.

veggie reuben

One of my lunch companions had an Italian hoagie sandwich and he destroyed the whole thing.

italian

My other date opted for a breakfast meal (which they serve all day). The smoked gouda grits were the best thing on the plate. The biggest gripe we had was that the sausage and fake bacon were store bought (Morning Star which isn’t even the best veggie bacon or sausage brands). However, I still think it’s a big step for a place around here to actually offer veggie bacon and veggie sausage as an option.

Overall, I would say the best thing I have had there so far is the veggie meatball sub. The prices are medium range with the sandwiches coming out to about to about 8 or 9 dollars a piece. You always get chips and pico de gallo with them or you can sub french fries, a soup, or a salad for $2.50. Most of the veggie sandwiches can be made vegan, although, oddly the menu said there would be a price increase to make something vegan. I assume this means they are using some more expensive vegan “cheeses” and spreads. There is a full bar and they stay open until midnight on weekends and 10pm on weekdays.

Is it worth the trip to Raleigh? Only you can be the judge of that.

• Ryan said:

I definitely think you need to open that veggie diner in Durham. I’ve been wanting to try the Remedy though.

kap replies on July 6th, 2009 at 11:04 am:

yeah, it would be awesome to open a veggie diner. maybe one day…anyone out there want to financially back me?

• burgeoningfoodie said:

There is a vegetarian/vegan diner (not really a diner) in Chapel Hill. It’s in University Square where the former Bonn’s Home Cooking use to be.

On a separate note, what do you consider the best veggie bacon and sausage to be? I’ve been using Morningstar, but if there is better and also cheaper than that would be great.

• kap (author) said:

best veggie bacon – lightlife: fakin’ bacon. i make it not so light by frying it in olive oil.

best veggie sausage – gimmie lean, made into patties. fry in canola oil. enough for the bottom of a frying pan. after removing from pan, apply maple syrup and enjoy.

• mk said:

good to know about this place. the menu looks quite good and might make a trip outside durham worth it. maybe not in the immediate future, but sometime soon. now if they had vegetarian biscuits and gravy or vegetarian chicken and dumplings, then maybe i’d go like tomorrow ;)

either way thanks for the review. raleigh dining is a total mystery to me after 6 years in durham.

• Mat said:

Thanks for the vegetarian posting. CD is great, but sometimes too heavy on the taco al pastors!

kap replies on July 7th, 2009 at 10:30 am:

thanks! i will be concentrating more on the veggie angle so watch out for kap postings! i do eat seafood sometimes so that might be included also.

• Amy said:

I’ve been reading for a while, just for fun mostly, as I am a vegetarian and CD is, as the poster above notes, pretty crazy for the meat. I would LOVE to see some vegetarian-angled posts here, especially if you could do what I have always dreamed of doing, which is some investigating into local ethnic options for vegetarians. As in, do any of CD’s beloved taco joints make lard-free beans? Or did you know that the “vegetarian” options at one beloved local Asian place are made with chicken broth? Boy was I sad when I learned that about 5 years after the fact, meaning 5 years after I had repeatedly asked the servers about it and been assured the dishes were truly vegetarian. The language barrier is hard to get past.

kap replies on July 7th, 2009 at 8:21 pm:

yeah, i know what you mean. it’s hard to be sure if beans (and perhaps other ingredients) are really veggie friendly. and, i don’t speak spanish so yes the language barrier is a problem. what i know is this, in san francisco (where i lived for 5 years), land of the veggie taquerias that claim to have veggie burritos and tacos, many of their beans are made with lard. so, i bet it’s safe to assume any beans you are eating out there are made with lard unless the menu specifically says otherwise. one day i will make my friend ed go to some of these places with me and we will run an investigation to see if any places have truly veggie, lard free beans. sounds like a good project for me. i personally have stayed away from durham taquerias (for the most part) for this sole reason.