Don Cecilio’s

Posted by YAR 27 Mar 2009 7 Comments

Don Cecilio’s (5279 N Roxboro Rd) might look like a generic Mexican restaurant in a strip mall, but it’s definitely got a few things going for it.  It’s main purpose for me is something of a guilty-pleasure standby but I think there’s no denying that the food is better than some of the other options in the non-taqueria, drowned-in-cheese, Mexican restaurant category.

Last time I went I had the chilaquiles (much less flavorful than the Las Palmas version but still comforting).

img_3736

The best thing about Don Cecilio’s, though, is the dipping sauce that comes (in addition to salsa) with the chips.  It’s a white, creamy and sort of sweet dip that I haven’t seen anywhere else and find impossible to describe or resist.  It goes especially well on chips when combined with their salsa (which also isn’t bad).  After eating it many times I finally gave in an destroyed the mystery by asking what was in it–our waiter said it was milk, mayo, cilantro and jalapenos (must be condensed milk, for the sweetness).  Yummm.  I recommend giving it a chance.

img_3726

Another two things going for Don Cecilio’s:

better than average margarita

better than average margarita

img_3732

I’ve never been disappointed when I’ve stopped by this place in the mood for something cheesy and Mexican-ish, and I get frequent cravings for the white sauce.

• mrsbrady said:

I used to live in North Durham off Infinity, and I loved going to Don Cecilo’s! Your review has sparked my need to visit yet again.

• Torero’s??!? « Carpe Durham said:

[...] even when I have cravings for ridiculously cheesy enchiladas (those times, I go to Las Palmas and Don Cecilio’s).  But I recently checked out Torero’s because I had heard they have an “authentic [...]

• Luke said:

Generally, y’all are right on. Thanks for being mostly awesome. This place was horrible though. We had the chile rellenos (“plato autentico”) and fish tacos. The tacos featured unidentifiable shredded fish just palatable enough to swallow. The rellenos were the real kicker. They were shockingly bad. The cheese in the middle, in contrast to the excessive layers of cheese on top, was cold and semi-solid.

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person said:

That’s too bad.. while the food is pretty standard, I have never had an affirmatively bad experience there.

Did you have the white dipping sauce with the salsa? I love that stuff.

Don's assistant replies on January 14th, 2014 at 1:27 am:

Would you come back to the restaurant and write a new review about us? It’s been under new ownership and we are also in the process of remodeling ,new menu items and new every day specials. Thanks in advance. Reach me at santiago_elias@icloud.com

• j.norris said:

Don Cecilio’s usually is quick, it’s inexpensive, and the food is fair to middling. It’s also five minutes from our house, so it’s on the short list of grab-a-bite spots when we can’t face up to the stove or refrigerator.

The rellenos *are* pretty terrible, and not recommended by any sane person. The quesadilla rellena (if made with shredded beef) can be tasty, likewise the enchiladas rancheras. I’m not a fajita fan, but I’m told they’re pretty good, and they smell and sound great coming out of the kitchen. Service has been spotty of late: Some of the waitstaff have no better grasp of English than I of Spanish, and it makes for some interesting transactions.

• BobinMass said:

This restaurant has a new name. Has the menu changed?