Benetis Breakfast

Posted by CDB 15 Mar 2009 22 Comments

While visiting Papa Mojo’s I noticed the sign for breakfast at Benetis (5410 Hwy 55).  Considering the dearth of breakfast joints around (Waffle House need not apply) I was eager to try it.  Each of us ordered a plate.

benedict1

Now, I’ve had worse eggs benedict.  Beyond that, however, I really have nothing to say about it.  All the ingredients were present but the chef seemed to leave out the dash of awesome I enjoy about the dish.

ham-and-eggs

The ham and eggs again were not the stuff of legend, but certainly did the job.

skillet2

This skillet, particularly when compared to other skillet offerings, was rather sad.  The portion was small and unimpressive.

Being a believer in large breakfasts at reasonable prices, I wouldn’t return.  Any trip to the over popular Elmo’s would be at least as tasty, nearly twice as big, and a few bucks cheaper.

I’m remiss to give any bad review, especially on a breakfast joint, but based on a decent spread of the menu I can’t say there is any strong reason to go.  Unless you are sick of your drive-thru sausage biscuit, then maybe.
Benetis Restaurant on Urbanspoon

• Jessica said:

I hate to hear that about Benetis. I’ve been looking forward to trying their lunch out. Has anyone eaten there then?

• burgeoningfoodie said:

Not sure how many breakfast places there are in that area (not going to Southpoint). I can’t place any in the Kroger or Shiki Sushi areas. I do know that there is a Briggs but they are a bit pricey (though the food is general good) and I know there is a Waffle house. Though this is coming from someone who was happy when his parents stopped for the Shoney’s buffet on long trips to Florida as a kid. Elmo’s is good and filling and when Weaver St. does their breakfast it is good. I don’t know of too many awesome brunch places (outside of Acme in Carrboro and Watts)though and that needs some investigating.

• Russ said:

I like the huevos rancheros, that seems to be their best dish.

• judas_escargot said:

Man, I’d kill to have a Shoney’s around here.. I used to be in the birthday club :) And free lollipops? Can’t beat that.

• Jennifer said:

You all need to try Honey’s over at Guess Road and I-85 for breakfast. It’s tasty Southern Breakfasts–much better than Elmo’s.

• JB said:

Just to pass on a few rumors here since we’re talking breakfast…

I was eating at Papa Mojo’s last week, and I overheard the server say that they were planning to start serving weekend brunch in a month or so. Sounds promising!

Also, on the Watts-Hillandale neighborhood mailing list, the following recommendation was posted recently:

“To all of you who love good authentic Mexican food, we’ve got a new family favorite I wanted to plug. We want to help them stay in business!

The place is called Carolina’s (formerly the Golden Spoon breakfast place). While not in the neighborhood, it’s close by in that not-so-nice shopping center where the not-so-nice Wal-Mart is located on Roxboro Road.

They have a full menu of Mexican breakfasts, yummy things made with masa (including Oaxacan tamales), homemade corn tortillas and lots of homestyle specialties not usually found in restaurants around here. Everything we’ve tried was good, the place is pleasant and clean, the service is as homestyle (in a nice way) as the food and the prices low. They also still serve American breakfast if you have some people with you who don’t love a Mexican breakfast the way I do.”

I haven’t been there myself, but may be worth a go.

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person said:

Awesome. We have had lunch at Carolina’s (http://carpedurham.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/carolinas-mexican-and-comforting-american-classics/) but never the Mexican breakfast. We will definitely check that out soon.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

This reminds me.. I’ve got friends coming in from Winston and they want to do brunch.. Any good Saturday brunch recommendations, I’ve shown them Watt’s, Weathervane, Breadmen’s, and Elmo’s because those were the one’s that came to mind first. This would be for anywhere between Chapel Hill and Durham.

I pass by Honey’s en route to Costco all the time, but I don’t know it looks sorta sketch. I wish that mami nora’s would open a place near UNC.. I think THAT would do lots of business for the price. Unfortunately the rent would kick their butt.

• durhamfood said:

Piedmont does an excellent brunch, as does Rue Cler. If it’s Saturday, you could also do Toast for a slightly less traditional brunch.

BTW, it’s Watts, not Watt’s.

• burgeoningfoodie said:

I knew that. Just typing too fast and being careless.

• durhamfood said:

We just popped in to Carolina’s for breakfast this morning. The menu is HUGE. I got two gordas with potatoes and chorizo, which were quite bland, and a papusa with queso and chicharrónes (sp?), which was really excellent.

I’ll be back some time for dinner to try their baby goat stew…

• Shannan said:

I live in South Durham and Benetis is an awesome place for breakfast. I agree that not much on the menu is to-die-for and the chef’s are not topping everything with fancies such as goat cheese, BUT it’s great for a casual relaxed breakfast and is an awesome alternative to Waffle House and Bojangles which are really the only two other breakfast alternatives in the area. (I’m not waiting an hour for a table at Briggs)

• Blaise Kielar of Electric Violin Shop said:

Had an amazingly good dinner at Benetti’s last night. Adding Athena to the name, they have improved the place with a wine list, cloth napkins (quite different from their lunch buffet) and a well-informed and courteous waiter. I had Joe’s Seafood Linguini – the sauce was one of the best I’ve had – not too greasy or too creamy or too garlicky (as I have found at some of the upscale places I like!). Flavor was subtle but intriguing – the chef was not trying to impress, just made a tasty dish. And only $12 too, with large shrimp, scallops, mussells, artichokes, etc! I’m glad to have another good choice for dinner in RTP.

• NCIceman said:

I’ve a group that eats there once a month. We have always been impressed by the diverse menu. I don’t think a one of us has gotten a bad meal there. I bounce between breakfast items that are available for lunch as well and regular dinner items, and have always been pleased. It’s become a favorite on our lunch rotation.

They recently added a buffet lunch option as well. Again their diversity shows, and those who chose the buffet said it was all good. My Southern Philly was made by the fresh tomatoes on it, one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had.

I recommend trying it and making up your own mind; I think you will be pleased.

• RTPMama said:

After reading your review of Benetis, I wondered if you really visited the same restaurant we have frequented over the past year or if it was just their worst day.

I’ve never seen a “skillet” come out like that. They are usually in a large skillet shaped dish overflowing with yumminess. We always have such large portions that my husband and I often share a meal if we order a “skillet” choice.

The food is always prepared fresh to order and comes out pretty quickly, even when the restaurant is packed. They are quick to fulfill any special requests and will happily remake anything you are not satisfied with.

We have yet to try their new dinner menu, but for regular ole breakfast they’re our first choice.

• MRS said:

For affordable RTP lunch, Benetis is hard to beat. The spanikopita is delicious, comes with a large Greek salad as a side, and it’s just over $5.

• Pete said:

I couldn’t disagree with the reviewer more. The breakfasts are incredible – from the skillets to eggs to the waffles – you will definitely go home satisfied! And the lunch menu is equally delicious. And I don’t know where CDB normally eats, but to me the portions seem huge. Bottom line: the service is fantastic and super friendly and the food is fantastic!

• Pete said:

Also, look up the word ‘remiss’.

• CDB (author) said:

It is clear from all the comments that I ate there on an off day–if only I hadn’t! I’m glad folks have defended Benetis so thoroughly.

Also, Pete, remiss certainly describes my use of the word, not my reluctance to give an unflattering review. My bad.

• Melanies said:

You think those portions are small ?? Those are rather large to me. I think you are gorging yourself or expecting too much. They’ve been pretty good every time I’ve been there.

• Mark P said:

Benetis has the best Gyro in town and I’m an avid Gyro lover. I also go often for their blueberry pancakes which are always more than I can finish.

judas_escargot replies on January 16th, 2014 at 2:44 pm:

Yep, the gyro here is great and you can get it for breakfast, too! Watch out though, they’ve delivered mine as a flour tortilla kinda wrap before, so you may want to make sure and specify that you want the actual pita version.