L & D Grill

Posted by YAR 6 Feb 2009 7 Comments

L&D Grill (2620 Angier Ave.) is easily in my top five places that I never would have discovered if it weren’t for this blog forcing me to try everything.  If you can’t read it, the sign says “YOU’RE IN HOT DOG COUNTRY.  Try one of ours & U will FRANK us for the MEMORY.”  After a sign like that, the food didn’t even have to be any good for me to love the place.

img_2947

But the food was wonderful anyway!  Also, it was a feast for four that cost $18 total (that’s two hot dogs, a pork chop sandwich, fried chicken, a bbq sandwich, two desserts and two sodas (Cheerwine!)).

img_2959

The sauce on the bbq sandwich was light to nonexistent (maybe I was supposed to request that separately) but the Q-coleslaw combo was delicious anyway–a great spicy/sweet balance.  I’m not a bbq purist so I can’t vouch for it’s authenticity, but I can say that I would eat the hell out of it again.

img_2965

My favorite dish, on multiple levels, was the fried chicken “sandwich.”  Actually, it’s a drumstick and a thigh placed in between two pieces of bread.  Clearly, it would be impossible to eat as a sandwich.  Is this a customary way to serve fried chicken that I’ve never seen before?  Anyway, the chicken was amazing (we didn’t eat the bread).  It was crispy and peppery and not too greasy, without being at all dry.  Maybe the bread’s function is to wick away extra grease?

We were, indeed, FRANKful for the hotdogs we experienced.  We got them with chili, mustard and onions, but the dogs themselves were delicious and just the right red/pink color.

img_2971

The fried pork chop (also in sandwich form despite a huge bone in the middle) was another favorite.  We got it with hot sauce but it was extremely flavorful on its own.

img_29751

For dessert we got an apple pie (McDonald’s style) that was pretty good and a slice of chocolate pie that was wonderfully rich and delicious.

img_29671

There’s not really anywhere to eat inside, though there is this adorable little room that has a bench–we weren’t sure it was for the public so we just photographed the cute (if nonsensical) hot dog sign and took our food to go.

img_2943This was a lovely trip to East Durham.  I recommend checking out the beautiful old buildings along Angier Ave. and reading about them on Endangered Durham.

• Alex said:

Wow, I totally want to go back to the south so badly now. Them pics make my belly angry. Frank you very much!!!

Btw, have you had your site with a side of bacon?!

Tom replies on July 9th, 2013 at 10:26 am:

Those desserts are homemade and taste like what grandma made. They sell whole pie and other desserts you can place an order and they will make you a whole one.

• Gary said:

Here’s an amusing picture of L&D’s, from the late lamented Bullsh@t:

• Phil said:

Awesome!!!

I lived out Angier for a couple of months but was always in too much of a hurry to stop by that place.

Re: chicken and white bread. I don’t think it’s at all traditional to serve that as a sandwich, but I think it’s common to serve white bread along with take-out fried chicken as a thing to hold the chicken with.

Like Ethiopian injera, it’s the napkin you can eat. Unlike Ethiopian food, you wait to eat this stuff at the end.

• TLH said:

Yep, that’s traditional sandwich style. You’re supposed to tear off a piece of bread, then use it like a an edible oven mitt. Hold the bread cradled between your thumb and fingers, and use it it to tear off a piece of meat (for best flavor, try to get some crispy skin, meat, and a little grease each time). Once the meat is nestled safely inside the bread, and the grease has soaked into the bread a little, pop it into your mouth. Yum!

• Paul Dudenhefer said:

Wow. I didn’t even know that place was open; thought it was a vacant building. Can’t wait to try it.

• DK said:

That bench is for your eat-in dining experience.