Home » Mobile, Restaurants, Tacos

North Durham taco truck invasion!

Posted by RPP 17 Jan 2009 12 Comments

North Duham has taco trucks!

The newest truck was spotted outside of El Fantasia Sports Bar (105 Infinity Rd), formerly PK’s Billiards

fantasia

I sampled both a pastor and asada taco.  Both were good, but a bit dry and ultimately nothing special.  The salsa was nice and spicy, but was in a squirt bottle and I didn’t put enough on.

taco1

The second truck is located outside of the popular club Sabor Latino (4527 N. Roxboro Rd).

sabor

Same order here, but these tacos were fantastic.  My only criticism is that they were a bit greasy, but the wonderful flavor of both meats might make this my favorite taco truck in Durham.  I can’t wait to go back for a torta.

taco2

All tacos were $2 each.

• Robust McManlyPants said:

$2 each? My beloved south Durham needs taco trucks.

• Tooth said:

I think I saw the Sabor Latino truck parked outside of Coma Rico (on University Drive) last Sunday. It also appears that the Coma Rico sign has come down. Any news on what’s happening here?

• Nick said:

I see it parked there, too. One time I saw them serving at night. Do they serve during the day?

• Taqueria Lopez Truck « Carpe Durham said:

[...] not sure whether the Lopez truck has permanently replaced Benito’s (Sabor Latino) truck, which used to park outside this club, but I think in the future I’ll seek him out [...]

• Biggie said:

I’m dying to know – does a taco truck park somewhere in SW Durham for lunch? I’ve seen one driving on Fayetteville St just north of I40/Southpoint but have never seen one parked. Not sure if they set up around there. Next time must follow it!

• Gimme More « The Goose Camel said:

[...] in social, cultural and economic ways? Beyond our fondness for (admittedly) the really good food, what does Durham anticipate for bicultural institutional asset development? Could NAS provide a [...]

• Carpe Durham » Blog Archive » Taqueria Lopez Truck said:

• Geoff said:

“does a taco truck park somewhere in SW Durham for lunch?”

biggie,

yo he visto un camión del taco aquí.

the front corner of the building has a dominoes pizza that you can see from University Drive. the back corner has La Tienda Esperanza (I think that is the name) and the two times that I’ve been in the tienda, the truck as been right there. I have not tried it yet. ¡este fin de semana tal vez! :)

• Tooth said:

Geoff,

As far as I can tell, the taco “truck” at Esperenza is really a trailer that never moves from its location. Its open at 9:00am and stays open pretty late too. I’ve had breakfast tacos there (huevos al chorizo) and they were pretty tasty.

Here’s the drill: You place your order at the taco trailer and then take your order number inside the tienda to pay for it after browsing through all the awesome wares.

• Benito’s Taco Truck: New Nighttime Location | Carpe Durham said:

[...] you know we’re kinda enamored with taco trucks, and especially with one in particular: Benito’s (aka the Sabor Latino truck).  A couple of months ago he left his old spot in North Durham and recently found a new home closer [...]

• Spencer said:

Is the taco truck still around? Been awhile since I’ve been back home, and it sounds like a great deal. Thanks.

- Logitech Z-5500 Man

• top web host plans said:

Hi, I really enjoyed visiting your site and reading the interesting articles and comments that are posted here. Pis look delicious. Nice job, keep up the good work.
    :-)