Current Cafeteria (Home Style Cooking)

Posted by YAR 21 Nov 2008 8 Comments

Current Cafeteria (3002 N. Roxboro Rd) is a great place to get classic, delicious, cheap soul food for breakfast or lunch.  We went for breakfast and were so enamored we went back for lunch the next day.

current-outside

For breakfast, we got a plate (two eggs, hash browns, biscuit and bacon), and an egg muffin with red hots, each for around $3.50.  Everything was good and greasy, and the biscuits were soft and fluffy (pillowy, even, at the risk of completely overusing that word).  The bacon was extremely flavorful, even for bacon, probably from being fried with lots of other meat products.  The hash browns were not my favorite kind (the crispy shredded ones), but were great anyway, with bits of crispy skin and, I’m pretty sure, more bacon.

eggs1

This was my first red hot-it’s basically a hot dog that’s bright red, cut in half and grilled.

biscuit1

At breakfast we were excited to come back for some chicken & dumplings, which was on the lunch specials board.  Sadly, it was no longer there when we went back the next day (though I am definitely not unhappy about the prospect of going back yet another time or few), so instead we got fried chicken and baked pork ribs.  Each meat comes with two vegetables and a roll or hushpuppies for $4.35.

chicken1

The fried chicken was pretty perfect, and we watched it come out of the fryer.  The pork ribs were also great-very tender and savory.  I was a bit disappointed by the collards, which is always my go-to side at soul food places, but they were still not bad with some hot sauce.  Every other side was better, and I was especially impressed by the black eyed peas, which were slightly sweet, and the butter beans with corn (above), which I have to say looked kind of unappetizing but were delicious.

pork3

For dessert we had a lovely coconut pie, which was light, custardy, and perfectly sweet.  We also got a banana pudding, which was set apart from some of the others I’ve had by a great merengue topping.

cococake

I definitely recommend Current’s when you want to eat well, for cheap, in a friendly and sunny place.  It’s open 6am-3pm Mon-Thurs, and 7am-noon on Saturday.

• Alex said:

WHOA! That redhot thing looks GOOD!

• NoCarSoPoBoy said:

“butter beans with corn”

AKA succotash

• B said:

Had breakfast there today (basically the same as yours). Spectacular, and within walking distance of home, no less!

My arteries curse you. The rest of me thanks you!

• TSQ75 said:

B. Just your arteries? lol

• lee said:

just discovered your ramblings. love this webpage and will consult here first b4 eating out!!!

• RestOfAmerica said:

Looks like my school cafeteria lunch after my cat threw it up.

Nasty.

Did those veggies come from a can?

• D_Current said:

My grandmother and later my father built and ran the cafeteria for over 40 years. Same menu, same staff, and same great taste. Different entrees throughout the week so it never gets boring. Even as a child growing up eating there EVERYday, I never got tired of it. My father sold it shortly before his death but ONLY on the condition that the current owners change NOTHING, and they have stayed true to the roots. I have since moved to the midwest, but still find myself longing for chicken and dumplings with a slice of pie. For less than a crappy “value meal” and faster too, you can have a home cooked hot and filling meal. Enjoy.

• Radian Measure said:

I absolutely love this place. I was really skeptical looking at it, but I definitely recommend! They have a really nice staff as well. I really wish they were open for dinner, but it’s probably better for my health that keep their current hours.