Nantucket Grill

Posted by RPP 17 Nov 2008 12 Comments

Nantucket Grill (5826 Fayetteville Rd) is a small local chain (with two other restaurants in Chapel Hill), and it is definitely pretty tasty.

noutside

We started with the mozzarella sticks, because sometimes you just feel like fried cheese.  The mozzarella sticks themselves were very good — fried perfectly with the right internal consistency — but the marinara sauce left something to be desired.  I would skip them next time.

sticks

For one of our main courses we had a bacon and scallion quiche with french onion soup ($8.99).  The french onion soup was nothing special, especially with so many great options for it in the area.  However, the quiche was delicious.  I mean, seriously really good.  It is hard to find quiche around here, and I would definitely go back just for it.  It even tasted good reheated later.

quiche

Our other main course was the “Harbor Master” sandwich ($8.99), roast beef with provolone, lettuce, red onion, and thousand island dressing.  I wouldn’t drive out of my way to get it again, but it was very tasty and I enjoyed eating it.  I got it with onion rings, which were pretty standard, but still very good.

sandwich1

Unfortunately, we were way too full for dessert, but it seems like that is really the speciality here.  They had a case full of huge multi-layered cakes, many of which looked fantastic.

Nantucket Grill (menu)
Su-Th: 11am – 9:00pm
Fri-Sat: 11am – 10:00pm

• Phil said:

“sometimes you just feel like fried cheese”

As long as you don’t smell like it.

• Ralph Haygood said:

If you’re looking for excellent quiche in central Durham, try Grayson’s or Piedmont.

Thanks for reviewing Nantucket Grill, about which I’ve been mildly curious for a long time but just haven’t gotten around to trying.

• L Parker said:

Nantucket really is all about the cakes, especially their strawberry shortcake (which also come in a delicious chocolate version). Another good thing to try on their menu is the seafood pasta – pretty tasty and fresh.

• aburtch said:

It’s too bad you missed out on the deserts, they are the best reason to go to Nantucket Grill. We live right around the corner and often eat dinner at home and then go there for desert! You can’t go wrong with any of their cakes, but the Coconut cake and the Carrot cake are favorites. The Tiramisu always looks good, but I’ve never tried it. The cookies are excellent as well.

Go on Tuesday nights when you get free cake with the purchase of an entree. Mmmmmm….

• Fuzzy said:

Desserts are in fact quite good and I don’t really go to the location you reviewed (personally I only really like the original location in chapel hill), but what makes Nantucket deli really good is the Chowda’, and the Lobster Roll. These are the primary reasons to go there, otherwise they are merely “decent”, but a bit overpriced.

They USED to have someone who made out of this world Chicken Divine as a special, in fact it was nearly as good as that I make myself, which is saying something. I don’t know if they still do. Their chicken pot pie is “quite good” which considering that I think that most commercial chicken pot pie is “inedible” is not damning with faint praise.

Please note that all of this applies only to the original location…

• elpea70 said:

My husband and I travel from north Durham to this place occasionally. I can vouch for the quiche. It’s devine! I personally liked the french soup. I’ve had a salad from there with a homemade lemon and basil dressing that was yummy. I’ve also had some of their sandwiches that were good. This is the spot to go if you just want dessert and coffee. The tiramisu is really good but HUGE, like 4 layers high. It’s definitely meant to be shared. We’ve never had to wait for a table here even on a Saturday night. I wish north Durham had something like this.

• katie said:

I’ve been eating at the original Nantucket deli (the one in Ram’s Plaza) for 7 years, and I definitely prefer it over the two newer restaurants. The clam chowder and lobster bisque are outstanding, and the chicken salad is the best I’ve had in the area. And I agree with the above poster about the chicken divan–just as good as my mom’s!

• thegourmez said:

Just have to chime in and support this particular Nantucket Cafe! My husband and I walk or drive over probably every other week for either Sunday lunch or to grab a couple of drinks while we work on our laptops at the bar. The bartender is great, the service is always wonderful and I just love the design of the place. The quiche is definitely a favorite, though I prefer the bacon and scallion option over the lobster, and I think their soups hold up just as well as at the original.

• Susanne said:

I’ve had the turkey bog sandwich at their original location at Ram’s Plaza and it was pretty yummy. The only other time I’ve been I went for cake, but I’m more about flavor than size. If you want a big ole huge hunk o’ cake – go. If you like more cakes with depth of flavoer and quality ingredients, this isn’t the place for you.

• anon said:

i know i’m 2 months late, but i just saw this review and wanted to add something since i work right near this place and have been there for lunch several times. specifically they have this asparagus, feta, and soma noodle salad that is actually really amazing and “hearty.” people who don’t like salads like this salad. just putting that out there.

• CareyScurry said:

Curiously, I greatly prefer the location profiled here over the other two (and particularly over the one in Ram’s Plaza) – I’d written the chain off before trying this locale a few months back. Best things I had were the quiche and cake(s) – also, kids eat free on sundays.

• rockyhillgal said:

We love the Nantucket Grill on Fayetteville Rd.! We especially enjoy going on Friday and Saturday nights for their Prime Rib, usually ordering Nantucket Nachos as our appetizer. As others mentioned, the cake is not to be missed.