Durham Pizza Restaurant

Posted by YAR 30 Sep 2008 14 Comments

Durham Pizza Restaurant (4707 Hillsborough Rd) lives up to its website’s claim that it is “Much more than just Great Pizza.”  For one thing, it has a pretty great website.  Check it out.  For another, it seems it would be a fun place to hang out.  I think if I were a kid I would beg my parents to take me there every week, and if I were an adult who lived a lot closer to it I would probably go to the bar pretty often.  For a third, it has a drive-thru window.

The place was very comfortable, family-friendly (as far as I could tell given that there were no families there; there were lots of child-drawn pictures on the wall) and pleasant.  The service was great, with the caveat that we were there between lunch and dinner so it was pretty quiet.  But I am a sucker for being called “sug” (however that is spelled).  The prices were pretty average I think: we paid about $17 for a small pizza, meatball sub, side salad, and soda.

That is a meatball grinder (sub), which came with coleslaw and a pickle.  They were not the most flavorful meatballs I have ever had, but it was hearty.

The pizza, though not fancy or exciting, was good.  It reminded me of my childhood favorite–lots of mozzarella, slightly sweet sauce, and crusty but soft dough (they also offer thin crust, which I didn’t try).  Because the menu is very long, and because there is what looks like a pretty cool bar (well-stocked, possibly smoky, definitely cozy looking and completely separate from the family-friendly main dining room), I’ll be going back.

• durhamfood said:

No pizza I’ve had anywhere in town comes close to Pop’s Backdoor.

• MissPeoples said:

I agree with durhamfood. Pop’s Backdoor is simply the best pizza in Durham.

• Beebs said:

Boyfriend LOVES the BLTs at Durham Pizza — very heavy-handed with the bacon, and for about $3.50. That and a few cheap beers and poker night on Wednesday make a good evening…

• Seth said:

It’s good bacon, too. Very thick, at least compared to standard supermarket brands. I can get two draft beers
    and a BLT with pickle and slaw for a whopping $8.50. You can also get a huge mozarella garlic bread with a side of marinara sauce for something like $2.50.

You can’t beat that with a baseball bat.

The servings in general are *very* generous. People frequently split a single steak sub, or take half home.

• focusonyourcraft said:

I’ve had good experiences with Durham Pizza Restaurant. Much like the Durham Pizza Palace, the food is good, the prices are reasonable, and the staff is really friendly. I’m definitely overdue for a visit.

Maybe we should have a Durham pizza poll!

• Aldehyde said:

I live right by this place and my friend and I have stopped in twice. The first time they had a large pizza that had been created in error that they gave to us immediately for 15% off–it was very tasty. They’re nice and the prices aren’t bad.

• Carly said:

MMM, that pizza looks good. I love a nice not thin crust pizza. We will have to try it out.

• el gecko verde said:

if you’re from the northeast, or are a fan of either NYC or boston style pies, don’t bother with durham pizza restaurant. it will disappoint. i’d head over to one of randy’s locations instead.

• NLP Zine said:

Could you recommend any specific resources, books, or other blogs on this specific NLP topic?

• LizB said:

We moved to Durham last year from the northeast – specifically Boston – and Durham Pizza Restaurant is the best we’ve found so far. It does help that it’s our neighborhood pizza restaurant! But we were disappointed in Randy’s; the crust seemed hard and tough. We like Brixx wood-fired pizzas, too. Haven’t tried Pop’s Backdoor. Would love other suggestions for really good pizza around here.

RPP replies on August 13th, 2009 at 8:15 pm:

I am fond of Italian Pizzeria at 3823 Guess Rd. At some point we will post a review of it.

• shawful said:

I live near the Durham Pizza Restaurant. The pizza is ok. Avoid the salad. I’ve only been there a couple of times.
    Pops Backdoor is the best that I have found in Durham. FYI, Pops recently changed their hours.

• Jill said:

We like Brooklyn Pizzeria.
    2812 Erwin Rd
    Durham, NC 27705
    Erwin Terrace

• Williet said:

We moved to Durham from NJ seven years ago. It’s a law up there that
    every strip shopping center has to have a great pizza place. So we
    know a good pizza when we see one. We looked all over Durham to satisfy that craving until someone recommended Durham Pizza. It’s easily the best pizza in town. And, yes, we’ve tried Pop’s Backdoor
    and thought their pizza was good, probably the second best in Durham.