Home » Bakeries, Coffee, Restaurants

Fresh Madeleines at Daisy Cakes

Posted by DNR 16 Aug 2008 22 Comments

Tanya Catolos, the pastry chef at the Washington Duke Inn, just opened Daisy Cakes, a mobile storefront (technically a 1978 chrome Streamliner) for her cupcakes and other baked goods, located a block up from the Farmer’s Market.

Here’s the Streamliner in context, on the corner of Foster and Geer, right across from the Manbites Dog Theater and the now-defunct King’s Sandwich Shop.

After some truly heinous cupcake experiences in the Triangle, I was really happy with Daisy Cakes. That’s the Pink Lemonade cupcake (lemon with raspberry buttercream frosting). The cupcake itself is more cakey than spongey, and the frosting is creamy and super light but not at all airy like grocery store frosting.

If I ever buy a madeleine mold pan (or mini loaf pans) my masculinity will be officially rescinded, so I’m pretty elated I can now get fresh madeleines in Durham. It doesn’t get much better than warm, lemony discs of pound cake.

One of the cuter items on hand are “Pop’t-Arts,” which is basically flaky shortbread with a layer of strawberry preserves. They’re warmed before serving, but they really open up when you toast them at home too.

They’ve got a couple of tables set up next to the bus, great local coffee (Counter Culture), and tons of adorable in the vein of Locopops. I hear they’re starting to get swarmed, so in case supply doesn’t keep up with demand, you may want to show up earlyish for your Pop’t-Art.

Daisy Cakes (map)
Saturday: 8 am – 1 pm

• Daisy Cakes in Durham - 30Threads.com: Highlighting the Triangle Online said:

[...] and seeing a few photo samples, about the new Daisy Cakes mobile storefront in Durham, from the Carpe Durham blog I may have to make the drive and pick up one. What’s your favorite cupcake shop in the [...]

• TSQ75 said:

I wonder, do they have a central kitchen somewhere, or were they able to get the trailer licensed to actually produce food in?

YUM!

• Valerie said:

The Pink Lemonade the best cupcake IMO. They are all good, but that is just the best.

• Joe said:

Dude, go ahead, suck it up, and buy a madeleine pan. I won’t tell anyone. :)

• Rachel said:

Ever hear anything about Ox & Rabbit opening on 9th street?

• durhamfood said:

it’s open

• DNR said:

Hey Rachel! We did a post on Ox & Rabbit the day it opened. http://carpedurham.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/ox-rabbit/

• julia said:

Does anyone have contact info for Tanya of Daisy Cakes? Thank you!

• DNR said:

I assume the email address at eatdaisycakes.com (which is info at daisycakes dot com) is the best way to get in touch with her.

• Seriously Wondering said:

I had one of the Pink Lemonade and didn’t like it. I don’t know if it was too late in the day, or if they have some QC issue, but I couldn’t even finish it. The cake was far too dense and dry. And the icing had a funny taste that I was still trying to get out of my mouth an hour later.

Did I just get a bad cupcake? Or is this just the style of cupcake they make?

• DNR said:

Their cupcakes are pretty dense, but it’s entirely possible you got a fluke. How could you not love the raspberry buttercream frosting? Maybe you may like one of the other flavors more – I’ve heard good things about the black & white.

• peanutbutter said:

I think Daisycakes is actually going for the dry cupcake profile.

We got our cupcakes @ 9:15am this past Saturday–banana with Nutella icing, chocolate on chocolate, and red velvet. I found them to be very ordinary, dry, nothing special at all. It did boost my ego because I know that my cupcakes could kick these cupcakes’ asses.

We also sampled the poptarts. I like them better than the cupcakes, but they’re not stellar.

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person said:

I had a vanilla one the other day and thought it was pretty good. The coconut one is also good and was less dense.

• katie said:

I had the cherry-almond scones on Saturday and loved them! They have the perfect scone texture–flaky, crumbly, not too moist and not too dry.

• georg said:

I have to disagree about the cupcakes being dry. I got the banana and the pink lemonade on Saturday. They actually sat in the fridge until Sunday night before we ate them. The pink lemonade was wuite dense. Heavier than I like my cake, generally. But it was still moist. And delicious. The banana was just about ideal — moist, light and loaded w/ banana flavor. So either the quality of the cupcakes is varying widely across the batch or I just have different standards. Such is life and more for the rest of us, I guess.

• Bull City Blogs » Blog Archive » Daisy Cakes, finally. said:

[...] across the street from Man Bites Dog Theater.Official site of Daisy Cakes for more information. Carpe Durham has some more information on Daisy Cakes, and so does Valerie at We Love [...]

• TSQ75 said:

Incidentally, if you go to the Daisycakes website and sign up for their E-Newsletter, you’ll get a coupon for a free cupcake.

Just in case you want to make an informed opinion, and you dont want to pay $2.50 for a cupcake. ;)

• weege said:

The lemon & blueberry bread pudding they had on Saturday was off the hook!

• Daisy Cakes and Football « On The Move said:

[...] already heard about the Daisy Cakes legend on a couple of Durham blogs (such as Durham Bull Pen and Carpe Durham), so I insisted that we go try it out.  It turned out to be a great decision, not only for the [...]

• Courtney Cawley said:

I love your site! Thanks for introducing me to this great local. I posted a link in my own blog about this place and linked it to you guys. http://cfcphotography.wordpress.com/
    I think I’ve tried about 10 of the places you’ve suggested and they have all been top notch. Keep it up.

• Kathy said:

Does anyone know what happened to Daisy Cakes? I have not seen them by the Farmer’s Market since the NY Times article.

• llyndon said:

I had the red velvet and my husband got the double chocolate.. Oh my.. Best cupcake I ever had. They definitely have my vote!