Home » Beer, Restaurants

Broad Street Cafe is back, and better

Posted by YAR 13 Aug 2008 14 Comments

I had read that Broad Street Cafe (1116 Broad St) was getting an overhaul, so I decided to check out the results. I will totally be going there more often now, mainly for the beer selection. They’ve got a few North Carolina beers on tap, my favorite being the Triangle Brewery Pale Ale (which I think is SO MUCH better than the Triangle Golden, but which seems much less commonly found on tap around here. Unless things have changed since I got back to town. I’ve only been back a day so I haven’t yet been back to all the Durham bars. I guess my point is, if you’ve only had the Golden, try the other Triangle options–they are awesome(r). Sorry for that ramble).

The food that I tried at Broad Street, kind of like the new decor, was nice but not striking. I had a Greek Salad that was better than average.  The addition of some delicious sun gold cherry tomatoes brought it up a notch (I’m assuming they are the same local ones I bought later at Whole Foods).

We also got a cheese pizza (one of the biggest changes at BSC is the addition of an oven for wood-firing pizzas) that wasn’t bad, but lacked much of a kick. I’ll give some of their more interesting-sounding options (like the Turkish Pie with lamb and olives) a shot. Full menu is here.

Broad Street Cafe on Urbanspoon

• Teech said:

Cheese pizza can only be so exciting, eh? I had lunch there on Tuesday and I would highly suggest the Turkish pizza. We went back yesterday and the lamb burger is the bees knees!

• carpedurham said:

I dunno, I have had some pretty amazing cheese pizza (at Lilly’s in Raleigh, for one). The sauce at BSC was kind of bland, but I imagine that wouldn’t matter so much with some good lamb or smoked chicken on it.

• TSQ75 said:

so i guess “wood-fired pizza” is the new hot foodie item? just seems to be popping up everywhere

• durhamfood said:

It’s not new. Pop’s has been doing them for years. Personally, I’m not sure how much of a difference it really makes. From my tastings around town, my favorite pizzas at Pop’s BD are not wood-fired – except by request on their 10″.

If pizza were smoked over time in a cooler oven, then you’d really taste the difference (ref: BBQ), but since pizzas are cooked for a very short time at a very high temperature, the effect is smaller.

• Julia said:

The vegan pizza is excellent. I also really like the house salad, which is better than the greek one.

• TSQ75 said:

durhamfood: I’m not saying it’s actually “new” i’m saying its the new “thing” the new foodie fad…everyone seems to be all up about “wood-fired pizzas” when yes, Pop’s has been doing them for years…

i’m just glad the Panini craze has died down so I can enjoy my yummy toast paninis in peace! :)

• durhamfood said:

lol :)

I’m at BSC right now. Details later.

• durhamfood said:

ok, so the lamb burger was good, but a little small for $8, and I asked for medium-rare and got at least medium. The fries were nice and crispy. I’ll be back to try more stuff.

• Outdoor Dining Spots | Carpe Durham said:

[...] Street Café, 116 Broad Street, Carpe Durham Review. Note: A few tables outside by the [...]

• gnahce said:

Had the pizza and several appetizers there about a week ago. One word, SALTY!

• Julie said:

Try the sweet potato fries w/ red pepper aioli, and the gorgonzola/roasted butternut squash pizza – my favorites!

• Jeff P said:

The kids shows are great. The pizza delights our kids.

But… If a restaurant is going to host an event that brings in a large crowd, be prepared. The service was lacking in many areas.

1. Wrong appetizer: Asked for the red pepper hummus, received edamame hummus (Which was pretty good) Needed 2 refills of crostinis to please the group. The ratio of hummus to bread was way off

2. Slow service: You have a kid’s concert and kid’s want food quick. 30 minutes for a cheese pizza is ridiculous. Maybe some prep time would be in order

3. Worse slow service: our orders for burgers didn’t arrive until after the show, an hour after our order. The kids wanted to leave but we had just been served. Reduce the menu for special events if you can’t satisfy the customers.

4. Botched order: Medium rare burger was well done or more… the toppings were lazily placed on the burger. More like burger king than a place I’d pay $7+ for a burger

5. Terrible Fries: We had both sweet potato and regular fries. Undercooked and not crispy… This was a major downer since fries are usually a highlight to a meal out side of our home. I can make nice burgers at home, but fries are more difficult for the home cook. When you get them at a restaurant you expect something wonderful, instead we got schlock.

I wish I could be more positive, because the kids really loved the music and the pizza. I just wish there was better planning and execution, so that everyone could have a good time

• jule&dan said:

We used to love the food, but lately (last 4 months or so) it has been going downhill. Pizzas have been undercooked and the burgers have been overcooked. the preparation/presentation seems lazy and careless now. hope gets better…

Agree with the above comments on the fries..have just been terrible lately

• maggieh said:

The Broad Street Cafe used to be an enjoyable place to dine and drink, but it has really gone downhill in the past six-nine months or so. Pizzas were under cooked on two differnt occasions, with a lame excuse that the ingredients keep the dough wet. Not buying it when the dough was still raw.

Went in recently and we sat for ten minutes waiting for a server. There were very few patrons and the employees were standing around. I picked up menus and sat some more. We finally just walked out.

Strike three was when we went to see some live music. The bartender short poured our beers and then went out of his way to avoid us.

This place used to be great, but now, not. Until the downslide, we were pleased with the service and the quality of food presentation for the type of place this is. Moving on….