Home » Restaurants, Tacos

Taqueria Y Birreria Los Comales – CLOSED

Posted by DNR 2 Aug 2008 18 Comments

Another week, another taqueria: this time it’s Taqueria Y Birreria Los Comales on Roxboro.

Located in an old Dunkin’ Donuts, Los Comales is a taqueria and “birreria,” which apparently roughly translates to “a mess”. Birreria is typically roasted goat (chivo) or mutton (borrego), and while it’s often served in platillos format, at Los Comales it’s in taco form. Wish I had known all this before going! I went for the pollo mole, lengua taco, and (of course) a pupusa.

The lengua was better than most, not quite as good as some, but it was especially good thanks to the extensive salsa bar. The pupusa was unlike any others I’ve had in Durham in that it was filled with a Mexican variant of mozzarella, which lent it a distinctive “Pizza Hut stuffed crust” flavor.

As you can see, the mole was beautiful, but as others have commented, everything was a bit muted compared to other taquerias. I think it’s mostly that the mole at La Vaquita has ruined just about every other mole for me. Still, Los Comales is stellar and absolutely worth a trip. Be sure to try the watermelon agua fresca.

Taqueria Y Birreria Los Comales (map)
Sunday – Thursday: 9 am – 10 pm
Friday – Saturday: 9 am – 11 pm

• TLH said:

You have to try one of their burritos on your next visit. Absolutely huge, and very good as well. I’ve had to stop ordering them. I tell myself I’ll only eat one half, then I keep sneaking back and nibbling until the entire thing is gone and I am completely sick.

• Beth said:

I’ve only visited Los Comales once and did not find it as tasty as I was hoping for.

• JNB said:

TLH – I’ve done that too! The chicken burrito is gigantic & has a most delicious sour cream/cheese combo inside. I believe it’s only $6 and it’s at least a foot long. Yum.

• weege said:

I’ve been meaning to give their burritos a try, but I’m stuck in a pupusa rut…which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

• Erin said:

i tried the quesadilla on a recommendation from a friend, and wasn’t as impressed with it.

i’ve always enjoyed their tacos, though.

• Phil Marsosudiro said:

Hey — have you tried the birria de borrego tacos at the truck that parks at the T of Dixon and University (where the old Red and White butcher shop used to be) on weekend night? I actually remembered to search your site before adding this comment. I searched on “birria” and found this solo blog so I’m thinking you haven’t been yet. Or at least that you haven’t had the birria de borrego tacos.

I’m told that during weekend days, the truck is down a couple hundred yards toward Target. I don’t know about weekdays.

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person said:

We have not tried that truck yet. Thanks for the tip, we will check it out soon.

• nick said:

Is the truck there during the day on weekdays?

• Tooth said:

I live in the nearby area and, best I can tell, the taco truck you’re referring to is only out on the weekends. As someone mentioned earlier, it continues to park at the “T” of Dixon and University Drive, directly in front of the old Red & White store.

If you’re looking for a weekday taco truck in this vicinity, there’s one that is open all the time in the parking lot of the nearby shopping plaza at 3205 University Drive. The truck isn’t easy to see from the road unless you’re really looking for it because it sits in the back part of the parking lot where Tienda La Esperanza is located. Its the same plaza that is home to Ray’s Billiards and Domino’s Pizza.

BEWARE! This area is densely populated with taco tasting options all within about a one mile radius. BEHOLD!

*Two taco trucks (one during weekdays);
    *Tacostumbras (gas station tacos);
    *Taqueria La Vaquita (Mecca) and;
    *Taqueria y Pupuseria Las Delicias (new on the scene).

After all this talk of tacos, what should I have for lunch?

• El Rancherito | Carpe Durham said:

[...] large and satisfying,  but the chorizo lacked the crispiness and punch of what’s on offer at Los Comalles, La Vaquita, or the taco [...]

• Sarah said:

Their vegetarian and meat burritos are stellar. And their fresh condiment bar frequently changes a little during the summer.

• chaz benz said:

I’ve lived in Tucson and San Diego, crossed the border many times and ate the best these two towns had to offer in Mexican food. and I say, “Forget the rest, here’s the Best”. Forget fancy ambiance, come here or take out for the most authentic Mexican in the Triangle. 95% of the customers are Latino, and many are there as a treat “con su familias.” Don’t know if it rates as cuisine but, “de las camiones, el mejor. Verdad!”
    Try the Posole (pork and mild chili-based brothe soup on weekends only) for a sample of what I’m talking about.

• Los Comales Rocks It said:

Being married to a Latino husband from Texas… La Vaquita is not authentic not very good. Los Comales is authentic and like home. He practically cried the first time we ate there it tasted so much like home. When visting Durham we eat there on the way into town and on the way out of town, even if we are going to meet up for dinner or have just eaten breakfast or lunch. We always bring a cooler take home at least 6 quarts of Menudo each time. Another bonus is the fresh toppings bar at Los Comales. We tried La Vaquita and, frankly we had to spit the food out and throw the rest in the trash. While waiting for our food, we noted that it was all white people eating at La Vaquita and where skeptical white people in Durham would know good Mexican food. We were proven right. You will see mostly/only Latinos eating at Los Comales. Where would you want to get authentic tacos? Eating with a bunch of white people or with los hermanos?

judas_escargot replies on December 31st, 2012 at 5:05 pm:

Well I guess Hispanic folks don’t know shit about Chinese food then, based on the way they pack the shitty buffets around here.

• Tooth said:

Judas, I want to buy you a beer for making me laugh with that comment! Viva La Vaquita (and Los Comales, love that place , too).

• kdghty said:

On Monday when I went by there was a sign on the door about being closed for non-payment of taxes. :(

• ERDavi82 said:

I don’t know which location kdghty is referring to but the new branch was closed when I went by there on Thursday.

Kuzbad replies on June 7th, 2014 at 11:41 am:

Yeah, it’s closed… Too bad

Unpaid tax bill shuts down Los Comales restaurants (Herald).