Rockwood Filling Station – CLOSED

Posted by hollyandholley 18 Jul 2008 17 Comments

H&H went on opening night to the Rockwood, a joint venture by Nana’s Scott Howell and former Nana’s bar manager John Riggs.  It is located in the newly renovated space next to The Original Q Shack on University Drive.  New restaurants always have some initial bumps in the road but we know this one will be running smoothly very soon.  The liquor license is expected any day now.  The menu features some great sounding martinis, as well as several beers on tap, and wine by the glass or bottle.

Mr. H and I sampled our way through the ‘Neapolitan Pizzeria’s’ menu:  the chicken wings are marinated in something yummy and grilled ($6).  The antipasti plate features the best deviled egg we’ve eaten in Durham, a Chapel Hill Creamery cheese, and a roasted garlic head (you know when it is roasted in the skin and sliced in half–whatever you call that), and some other Italian specialties.  The chopped wedge salad with a gorgonzola-buttermilk dressing was simple and good.We shared a Build Your Own pizza.  H&H has been jonesing for a local brick oven pizzeria so we are delighted the Rockwood has answered our prayers!  Our pizza had house made sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, and caramelized onions, a nicely charred crust, and a touch of spice to the red sauce ($8-$12 average).  TRY THE ICE CREAM!!!!  It is made in house.  Served with a perfect little pizzelle in a bowl, or as a creamy milkshake, or sandwiched in a brioche–the servings are generous ($3.50-$5).  I had the Hazelnut Nutella Swirl in a bowl.  Chunks of Nutella.  I almost embarrassed myself licking the bowl before the Nutella coma hit.  Mr. H had a milkshake which was creamy and delicious.  A perfect summer dinner whether you are seated inside at the poured concrete bar, bar tables, banquettes, or outside on the patio.  The place was packed all evening, the staff was friendly–Rockwood is a delightful addition to one of the best food corners in Durham.  Features:  outside seating, sports on tv, window to kitchen.  Be patient while Rockwood gets its footing and you will be rewarded with excellent food, a great place to hang out, and a late night pizza and ice cream place in the neighborhood.

**UPDATE: New hours
Dinner: Mon – Sat, 5:00pm-10:00pm
Lunch, Fri – Sun, 11:30am-5:00pm.
Brunch menu on Sat and Sun.

• emily said:

We went on Saturday night and thought it was pretty good. I think the pizzas could have been cooked a tad longer- I want it to be a bit crisper and not so doughy in the middle. But it was tasty and nice to have another pizza option.

• hollyandholley said:

Rockwood Filling Station Hours of Operation:
    Sun, Tue-Thu 11am-2pm, 5pm-10pm
    Fri-Sat 11am-2pm, 5pm-midnight
    Closed Mondays

Liquor license expected by the end of this week. Until then you can BYO wine and beer.

• hollyandholley said:

Also, tonight H&H tried the Meatballs in marinara: delicious! We added House Sausage (yes, made in house!) to the White Pizza and it was a stellar combination. Don’t leave without ordering ice cream or a milkshake.

• TSQ75 said:

I read in another local food blog that those meatballs have duck in them! MMMM

• Chops said:

I agree with Emily. I went yesterday and my pizza was undercooked. My wife’s came out crispy and cooked through, so I think they just need some time to learn the oven. Scott was manning the oven when I was there. I was surprised he let a pizza go out without the cheese being melted. Next time I want to try the wings. They are cooked in a cast iron skillet in the wood oven.

• J. said:

We tried Rockwood tonight and were quite disappointed. The margarita pizza was a tad charred, and the fresh basil on it was completely blackened as well. The white pizza was pretty bland. Also, the pizzas (which are 10″) were not cut which, on a slightly concave plate, makes for some difficult dining. We had minimal interaction with our server, and he never asked us how our meal was. Hopefully, others have had more positive experiences . . .

• Beth said:

Do not order the calamari. It was small, squiggly, and most of the breading was on the plate and not on the calamari. I ordered the meatball pizza which was very tasty, but would be better if the meatballs were sliced and not whole. The sauce is excellent, as was the crust, but what little cheese that was on it was not melted. I agree that the pizza needs to come out sliced.

I think they just need a little more time to get things worked out. It’s a very cute little restaurant.

• blinkingline said:

the menu states at the bottom (in the fine print area, if you will) that you need to ask to have your pizza sliced if that’s how you want it.
    when we went tuesday, service was a little slow, but considering how packed the place was, it wasn’t unreasonable. all of our pizzas were nicely done, and the four cheese we found exceptionally exciting, as each of the four could be distinctly made out, but played off of each other really well.

• georg said:

According to our waiter tonight, Rockwood will be slicing all its pizzas from now on. They were, apparently, trying to be more authentically Italian by offering them unsliced. But the people have spoken & not having your pizza end up in your lap or on the floor when you try to slice it w/ a steak knife trumps “authenticity.”

• JNB said:

We had lunch here Saturday. The parking situation was not the best but the food was very good. Started off with the calamari which had a delicious lemon/basil mayo sauce & then the 3 of us split 2 pizzas: a mushroom & pepperoni and a ham & carmelized onion. They were both done just right. As for the middle of the pizza, of course it was a little soggy. I don’t think I’ve ever had a pizza that wasn’t a little flimsy/soggy in the middle. For dessert we had a bowl of vanilla ice cream which was so very good. Overall, a very good meal with only 1 complaint – $5.50 for a pint of Lagunitas IPA? Seriously? This should be $4.50 at most. With Alivia”s pricing for beer, we will just be going there for food & no drinks.

• Toby said:

We went there last week and enjoyed the atmosphere but were underwhelmed by the food. The Eggplant Luv pizza and salads were wonderful — the Eggplant Love had wonderful little capers on it that had burst in the heat of the oven — but the four cheese pizza was overwhelmingly Gorgonzola-ish. So much so, in fact, that I was surprised to read another commenter say that the four cheeses worked well together. The pizza we got was dominated by blue cheese — even after we took the stuff off.

I will agree with all the the ice cream is the ish. We got some free because they wrecked our order, and our waitress was trying to save our tip. It did the trick…

• durhamfood said:

We went last week and were a little under whelmed.

We found the Eggplant Luv pizza quite bland. On the other hand, the antipasti plate was excellent, especially the pickles. Cocktails are super-expensive ($8 or more each), and I’m pretty sure that the one I ordered was made with Jose Cuervo instead of the advertised Patron.

We were too full for dessert. Next time, perhaps.

For now, I’m a Pop’s BD groupie.

• sarahbeanne said:

We were planning on going here tonight, but apparently it’s closed permanently. What happened?

pogo replies on February 22nd, 2010 at 10:18 pm:

How do you know? They are always closed all day on Monday.

Linda replies on February 23rd, 2010 at 12:06 pm:

their website does not indicate that they are closed on mondays:

Friday – Sunday Lunch 11:30 – 2:30
    Monday – Sunday Dinner 5:00- 10:00

pogo replies on February 24th, 2010 at 7:12 pm:

my apologies — according to Nana’s (also owned by Howell) Rockwood closed last week. Drat.

• MEZ said:

Yep, look’s like BCR has a post up on it. It is closed, to be replaced by an extension of the Q Shack next door, the Fish Shack. I, for one, won’t miss it. I only went once and wasn’t impressed with the pizza.