Crawfish Boil at Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse

Posted by DNR 15 Jun 2008 10 Comments

It turns out the best thing about Sarah’s Empanadas is its proximity to Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse, a Cajun creole restaurant in Greenwood Commons in RTP.

On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, in addition to the extensive menu, they have a crawfish boil, and thanks to the Triangle Brewery tour earlier in the day, I felt up for anything, including tearing apart some crustaceans.  Thankfully we had enough people to sample the entrees and desserts.  The yardbird and sausage gumbo, cochon de lait (andouille sausage and slow cooked pork, served with very sweet BBQ sauce), and especially the incredible garlic butter green beans were all great.  The real stars were, of course, the crawfish and desserts.  Crawfish season only lasts until the end of July, so be sure to go in the next few weeks if you want to suck some heads.

After finishing off 6 lbs of wondrous crawfish, we ordered buttermilk pie with blackberry sauce, pecan pie a la mode, and bread pudding with whiskey sauce.  Everything was good, but the bread pudding was probably my favorite dessert I’ve had in Durham.  We even ordered one to take home with us.

Most of their ingredients are either brought in from Louisiana or purchased locally, and the owner is both a Cajun chef and a Zydeco musician, so not only is the food awesome (and, according to my friends, authentic) but they also have live music on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse (map)
Monday – Wednesday: 11 am – 9 pm
Thursday – Friday: 11 am – 11 pm
Saturday: 4 pm – 11 pm

• Paul Dudenhefer said:

This is exciting news. I can’t wait to try the restaurant and especially the crawfish.

• BarFly said:

I went there with the family last night. We ate outside(the smoking section). A customer was complaining loudly about the smoke and it was about that time that everyone lit one up as she moved to an inside table. Loved it! We were a little too early for the music. They had many good looking entrees and the po-boy steak sandwiches were great, but I wouldn’t order the Jambalaya again. The staff were very friendly and I will certainly go again.

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person said:

That smoke is the smell of freedom. I love the south.

• Yum Kai Is Appropriately Named « Carpe Durham said:

[...] great find from my first exploratory trip to Greenwood Commons in RTP, Thai Lanna has been around in one form [...]

• Rachel Dixson said:

I’ve been going there for the past 3 months. The drinks are great but the food is often too salty and over priced.

DONT ORDER the steak during brunch!!! The steak is a cheap steak, the waitress or bartender won’t tell you how tough it is until after you’ve wasted your time trying to cut into it but they will recommend it…it helps their TIP.

Although, I have not tried everything on the menu I have tried at least 6 items and I beleieve the place can be improved.

They do serve an apple dipping sauce with the grilled shrimp that is good.

• EP said:

I’ve been going to Papa Mojo’s since it opens and I have thoroughly enjoyed my food each and every time. Not only is Mel Melton an awesome musician, but he’s also a wicked chef!

• KW said:

We went last night for the first time since seeing an article about it in the Durham Mag. It was absolutely awesome! The shrimp creole, crawfish atoufette and the cat fish was amazing. The best part was the appetizer – pan fried oysters in a pepper sauce. I had the Chocolate tart for dessert and it was perfect. The best mixed drink is the Voo Doo Cooler. All this and the atmosphere is casual and friendly. Be sure and stay for the band – we had a blast with Joe Bell and the Stinging Blades. We listened and danced until midnight. We will definitely go back!

• henry said:

The food is incredible… one of the best restaurants and caterers in North Carolina. Their Sunday brunch with Beignets, cheese grits, andouille hash, and chocolate bread pudding is the best in Raleigh-Durham.

• BetsyBee said:

We went on saturday night and it was absolutely fabulous! My husband and I were blown away with the great food. We’ll be back.

• TSQ75 said:

Pick up your tickets to
    Scarlett O’Beavah’s Birthday Bash & Fun-raiser for The Scrap Exchange!*

Come on down to south Durham’s Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse to help the 2010 Beaver Queen celebrate her birthday – Redneck Riviera style – on Sunday Aug. 22 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Get all gussied up in your Redneck Riviera best to celebrate the end of summer, August birthdays, and creative beavers at a fundraiser to help The Scrap Exchange buy a home of its own. Tickets are $22, which includes a donation to The Scrap Exchange and a fine Cajun supper of jambalaya, New Orleans cheese soufflé, and red beans and rice. Yum!
    *In leiu of presents, please make a donation to The Scrap Exchange capital fund!

Please pick up your advance tickets by Thursday at The Scrap Exchange.

What is the proper attire for the Redneck Riviera?
    Well, think Deep South meets beach party. Or crazy, classy and country colliding on the Gulf Coast’s fine white sand. Or maybe even something like the Beach Boys singing a Lynyrd Skynyrd song. Really, it’s all about looking good, being comfortable enough to party, and staying cool in the horrid heat.

Common sights in the Redneck Riviera: Pet alligators, Jimmy Buffett worshipers, sundresses, short shorts, jean shorts, camouflage anything, cut up T-shirts, flip flops, barefoot sheiks, mullet hair dos, cowboy and sun hats, spring breakers, and we’ve even seen a Girls Gone Wild crew floating around.