Fresh out of breakfast at Five Points Cafe

Posted by DNR 5 Jun 2008 10 Comments

Besides pastries at Ninth St. Bakery, there isn’t much breakfast to speak of downtown (unless you guys know where to get it!), so I was excited to stop by Five Points Cafe (right next to Toast) see what they had to offer.

Unfortunately, Five Points Cafe isn’t quite the Foster’s lite experience I was hoping it would be. When I showed up at 8.30, the only items on the menu (which includes omelets, a mushroom fritatta, baked french toast, pancakes, and biscuits) that were actually available were omletes and french toast, which is to say they had eggs and bread in the kitchen. I asked what kind of bread they used for the french toast and he said “whatever they had on hand” – including rye (?) – which turned out to be bagged and presliced.

The bacon and swiss omelet ($7 with a muffin) was pretty rudimentary, served with a big wedge of underripe honeydew melon (YAR‘s favorite!), and it took about 15 minutes to come out, which is a long time considering I was one of two people there. They have scones and muffins too, but I’m absolutely certain the corn muffins are made with Krusteaz mix.

Judging by a single breakfast trip on what may have been an off day, Five Points Cafe has some issues to work out, two months after opening. I get the impression that it’s more of a lunch place, but for the time being the style of breakfast they’re offering, especially for the price, isn’t much competition for Nosh or Foster’s. ┬áCan you guys vouch for their lunches?

Five Points Cafe (map)
Sunday – Saturday: 7 am – 3 pm

• Beck said:

I can vouch for a very similar, underwhelming, experience with a Five Points Cafe lunch. As for breakfast downtown, don’t forget about Rue Cler. Their bakery serves breakfast and the bacon, egg and cheese sammich is blissful.

• Aidil said:

Blue Coffee also has hot breakfast. You can get eggs, pancakes and other baked goods warm in the morning. They are pretty quick (7 minutes) and I usually can get it and eat before running to my office for a conference call.

• TSQ75 said:

does blue coffe do breakfast on saturdays too?

I was only mildly impressed by my lunch there, but it was something like their 2nd day open, so i forgave them.

the cake lady does have fabulous cakes, bread pudding, and nanner pudding though…i’d go in there just for that.

• DNR said:

And Rue Cler has beignets too! Thanks for the reminders.

• TLH said:

Yep, Blue Coffee does breakfast on Saturdays. We recently had turkey sausage and eggs (usually a sandwich but I’m low carbing it) and pancakes that were decent. It’s not gourmet or chef created, more fill your guts simple, but hits the spot. I also noticed the Krispy Kreme display, but didn’t partake (damn those carbs!)

• jamesd said:

had lunch here when it first opened (I work nearby)..not impressed. staff, quality of chicken sandwich. People I work close to have had similar experiences. I’d rather walk from downtown to Parker & Otis for a real sandwich.

• TSQ75 said:

the chicken sandwich was just over the top chunky for me…

• I have seen the top of the mountain. And it is good. « Carpe Durham said:

[...] Points has its high points and low points, but in case that photo doesn’t tell you everything you need to know, Blue Mountain [...]

• Sarah said:

It’s not downtown, but I HIGHLY recommend Gugelhuphf.

• Mike said:

If you like classical music like this, you HAVE to watch Josh Wright play La Campanella on two grand pianos! It is incredible.