Bennett Pointe Grill

Posted by YAR 28 Apr 2008 7 Comments

Sorry, it was pouring so I didn’t try very hard to get a good picture.

I really liked the Bennett Pointe Grill‘s (4625 Hillsborough Rd) combination of atmosphere (kind of old-lady coastal + radiohead playing + very good service) and food (comforting and much better than typical diner).  I tried a shrimp gumbo that was good, and a crab cake sandwich that was great.  The house salad was even surprisingly good, and I had my first warm bacon dressing ever.

It’s open for lunch and dinner but not in between (I think it’s closed between 2:30 and 5:30).  The menu also touts its full bar, but we didn’t have a martini lunch.
Bennett Pointe Grill on Urbanspoon

• clr said:

Bennett’s has a $7 lunch special. sandwich/main course + a side + a drink.
    pretty good deal.

the crab cake sandwiches are definitely made from scratch. delicious!

• JNB said:

Tell me more about the crab cake sandwich…lump? broiled? If so, I’m all over this place. I can’t stand the frozen crab patty fried crap you get at most places. And yes, I’m from Maryland.

• nickw said:

Oh hell no I haven’t been here for years but it is good.

• EDLweiss1 said:

I went there the other day for a staff birthday lunch. I too enjoyed the food. I had the crab cake sandwich and part of the lemon pepper shrimp salad. Both very tasty!

• Randy G said:

My wife and I have been there several times for dinner. Friday’s are always crowded, but we don’t mind waiting.

I did order a blackened seafood entree once which came broiled. Rather than admit the mistake the waitress told me it was blackened, ‘that’s the way they did “blackened” ‘.

• kwixote said:

Bennett Pointe Grill is one of the few places worth eating at west of 15-501 and north of Duke Forest. Indeed, it is one of the few places one can eat in that area, and perhaps the only local, neighborhood cafe/bar I know of in northwest Durham.

It’s a great lunch place. I don’t normally like to eat at the same places that the gray-haired crowd like (even though I’m getting a few gray hairs myself!). But this is not your normal “home-style” cafe. It is a place with at least some slight culinary ideals. They don’t aim high: they only know a few tricks: mainly how to make a really good burger or hot sandwich, great home-made potato chips or sweet potato fries, good and fresh if somewhat uninspired salads and some very nice fried fish. But they stick to those tricks and do them quite well.

I’m not someone who usually likes sandwiches, but when I get a sandwich, that’s where I get it.

These factors make it a very good lunch place, but I’m not sure I’d recommend such a place for dinner.

There is often a waiting queue at lunch, but it usually moves pretty fast. If you’re willing to give up a smoke-free environment, they’ll go ahead and seat you in the bar — which usually isn’t really very smokey.

• Amy said:

Bennett Pointe is one of my favorites! Their shrimp and grits are great, as are some of their seafood pasta dishes. Be sure to save room for the homemade dessert – yum!!!