Home » Groceries, Restaurants

HALGO

Posted by YAR 25 Apr 2008 7 Comments

Halgo (4520 S. Alston Ave) is a quite cute Polish grocery store and flower shop. They have rows of Polish snacks and candy, kielbasa and other meats, cheeses, crazy juices, pickled fish, a freezer full of frozen pierogies (12 kinds), cabbage rolls, soups (borscht), and generally lots of things I have never seen before (not being Polish or from a big city). Apparently next week they will start to serve up the pierogies hot, but today we fried some up at my house and they were awesome with some delicious Polish sour cream. I was of course hoping for some fresh in-house stuff (they are made in Chicago), but my friend who is a pierogi expert was pretty happy with them.

• TSQ75 said:

sweet creamy jesus, Pierogis! MM!

• megan said:

wow. I am half polish and the only other polish stores I know of are in MA! this is great!

• Steve said:

This is great! My wife is of slovak/lithuanian descent and her family has a tradition of making pidogies (what they call them), mushroom soup (using saurkraut juice) and other rich, similar food items. This may be a great source for those rare ingredients that we just can’t find around here. Thanks!

• Sarah said:

Holy shit – 12 kinds of pierogies! I can’t wait!

• CJK said:

Jezzus Maria!! Die me pierogis!

• Aldehyde said:

I love Halgo’s and go there often. If you want pierogies made for you you have to call in the morning an hour or two before you want them so there is time to defrost etc.

I have gotten lunch there twice, the first time I was able to get a huge piece of hot polish sausage on a fresh bun with sauerkraut and mustard. It was delicious. The second time I had a sliced kielbasa sandwich with lettuce, onion, bell pepper, and mustard.

I highly recommend their poppy seed roll and everything in the freezer. I got a big package of frozen Golabki that was wonderful, you just thaw it and heat it in the oven and its ready to go.

• Aldehyde said:

also the beef pierogies are the best, I have a special place in my heart for potato&cheese but the shredded beef is delicious.