Home » Gas Stations, Restaurants

That’s it, I’m moving: Cheek Road Grocery & Grill

Posted by RPP 24 Apr 2008 7 Comments

Today I stopped by Cheek Road Grocery & Grill (5801 Cheek Road). First of all, let me say that this area of Durham is awesome — very much in the country, and exactly the type of area I had anticipated living in when I moved here. (I moved to North Durham instead, which is possibly as sparse but with much less country.) It is definitely beautiful country.

That brings me to Cheek Road Grocery & Grill, which is actually a grocery, grill, gas station, bait & tackle shop, social gathering spot, and mini pool hall (1 table).

I had a hotdog with chili and slaw. It was quite tasty, certainly much better than the offerings near me (Dog House). But I saw some other people eating cheeseburgers and was jealous.

(Sorry for the horrible picture)

You should definitely spend a couple of hours driving near Falls Lake and eat here. They are open for breakfast and serve lunch until 1:45. They have many offerings — besides the dogs and burgers, they had several types of chicken sandwiches, bbq, etc.

• Phil said:

If you were in northern Wake County, you’d probably enjoy hanging out here:

Compared to Cheek Rd., it’s less food but more wine. Hmmm… I’m not sure how that would be as a strategy for living.

• TSQ75 said:

MM! its the “red dog” kind!

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person (author) said:

Taylor’s looks awesome! Good find.

• Jessica said:

OMG! I lived off of cheek rd (in the opposite direction) for 14 months now and never knew this place was there! Awesome, thanks for the find!

• JohnforAmerica said:

We love to drive around out here, and live just a few miles from here, even though I work at Duke Law and my girlfriend works on the undergrad campus. You’re right, it’s beautiful, yet no one knows about it. We live in a nice subdivision and our rent is VERY low.

• Bruce Bell said:

Cheek Road Grocery has closed. However, the previous owners are now cooking their great food up the road at a new restaurant – Grill 46. For more information, goto http://www.grill46.com

It is located in the Food Lion Shopping Center at 121 Sherron Road, Durham, North Carolina.

• Clinton Grey said:

Great. I like this grocery so much. I remember my wife going to them every weekend. Too bad they moved. :(