Wingz and Thingz

Posted by YAR 27 Mar 2008 12 Comments

wingz-and-thingz.jpg

I love Wingz and Thingz. I was actually in the neighborhood on my way to JCs, which was closed, so I decided to head across the street and possibly get some wingz. However, the guy outside (proprietor? not sure) said he had the absolutely best samosas ever, and I had to get them. He also recommended the lemonade and the iced tea and gave me a sample of each. SO GOOD. Especially the iced tea, which is mysteriously delicious because it has orange in it. Even better, a suicide (which is a combination of the two). Yum. The samosas were also good–the dough was as perfectly fried as advertised. Three samosas came with fries and a drink (suicide for me) for $7, plus a few carrot sticks and celery, which completely cancels out the fried.

The samosas are described on the menu thusly:

“What is a samosas?glad you asked it’s a wonderful mixture of seasoned ground beef wrapped in a crispy light dough, lightly fried to perfection. We promise when you eat one, you will say ‘Sum-mo-sir’”

Here’s part of the menu. It’s hard to read, sorry, but you can make it out. Note at the bottom the “Lexus rich man’s special.” There is also Boe’s Special, which says “Eat like Boe, look like Boe.” Of course I don’t know who Boe is, but I’m willing to bet that he’s large. I also am tending in that direction after eating there, despite the vegetables.

wingz-menu-large.jpg

Also, because I am immature, I noted that due to the font, the name of the restaurant as painted on the outside looks a lot like “Wangz and Thangz.” Haha!

• Michael said:

Please tell me JC’s isn’t closed for good. It hasn’t been open any time I’ve gone by, but that’s usually on the weekend.

Their smoked sausage breakfast is killer.

Anyway, on topic, when I gave my presentations at the Association of American Geographers conferences about my work on HOPE VI, the shot with the Wingz and Thingz sign in it always got a chuckle.

• JC’s « Carpe Durham said:

[...] still, I’ll be going back. Michael helpfully commented that the breakfast sausage is great. Published [...]

• Fins N Wings « Carpe Durham said:

[...] wings were not bad, but I definitely would not make the trip for them when there are other options in the areas. Published [...]

• peeweez63 said:

Best wings in Bull Durham!!! I also like their hot dogs and somosas. You’re right, the lemonade and tea are great. I hear that they will start serving breakfast soon. I can’t wait!!!

• David said:

Headed over yesterday and it was closed with a “For Rent” sign on the door. Was so disappointed…wanted to get my wing on!

judas_escargot replies on April 5th, 2010 at 7:39 am:

What a shame… First Bull City Wings and now Wingz and Thingz! From what I have read, the wholesale price on wings has really shot up the last few years which undoubtedly hurt margins (along with all the other economic downturn stuff going on.) Any C-D readers have a spot for good wings in the area?

• bluedevil said:

Can someone confirm if this place is closed? Is it coming back? used to love this place and do not want it to go.

• Tooth said:

I drove past this place this past Sunday (April 11th) and it was definitely shuttered.

• peanutbutter said:

Not Just Wings has opened in the Wingz and Thingz space. I haven’t tried it, just noticed it as I drove by today.

bluedevil replies on June 6th, 2010 at 9:14 pm:

Is it the same ownership? Have you tried it?

judas_escargot replies on June 7th, 2010 at 8:13 am:

I went there last week, didn’t see anyone there I was familiar with so I’m assuming different ownership. Menu was a bit different and cleaned up some, but similar type things… wings, burgers, fries, dogs, etc. No samosas, cigarettes, or cleverly titled menu items though. I don’t think the lemonade made it over either, but I didn’t really look at the drinks.

The wings were good as a whole, maybe not quite as good as before but it’s hard to make a good comparison since the last time I had W-n-T was a couple months ago. Wing sauces were hot, mild, teriyaki, bbq and a jerk-style sauce that I didn’t get to try out. No honey mustard on the menu, but if you ask the guy there he’ll toss your wings in some honey mustard dressing which did the trick for me. Prices were still a bit on the high side… 10/$7. Guy was really nice, offered to throw some rolls in with my order since I didn’t want any celery or ranch.

bluedevil replies on June 7th, 2010 at 4:04 pm:

Do they have a phone number?