Meelo’s Restaurant

Posted by RPP 27 Mar 2008 13 Comments

Today the Restaurant Openings Report told me that Meelo’s (1821 Hillandale Rd Suite #3) was open for business. There was previously another Meelo’s in the same spot, but the new Meelo’s has a completely different menu and new owners. Meelo’s now serves a “fusion of continental cuisine with Italian & Spanish flair.”

I went in planning to get some empanadas (!!) and pesto linguini, but unfortunately they are not yet operating on their full menu. They indicated that they should be serving the empanadas and a variety of tapas within the next 2 weeks. Instead, I had Linguini alla Bolognese and some Penne Alfredo. Both were good — nothing I couldn’t make at home, but definitely better than grocery store offerings and very convenient if you are just looking for something to pick up on the way home. Plus, the manager (owner?) is very friendly.

I will definitely return in a couple of weeks once they are in full swing and let you know!

Meelo’s Outside

Meelo’s Alfredo

Meelo’s Bolognese

• TSQ75 said:

holy crap a $3 empanada!? that thing better be a meal!

• MeeloFan1 said:

Wow, I went to Meelos the other day and it was great, I ordered Alferado and it made my mouth water, Meelos is a EXTREMELY awesome restaurant and I hope I can come again.

• james said:

Anyone eat here recently. Wondering how it is now that it has been open for awhile. Is it kid friendly?

Jacki replies on December 27th, 2009 at 12:59 am:

definitely. very kid friendly. Andre is great, and the main waitress, Lauren is terrific. I see babies there all the time. The staff is happy to help with whatever.

• Robin said:

Meal at Meelos: Yum!! Lasagna was fabulous!!! Garlic bread was nothing to sneeze at. And Andre, the host/owner, was lovely…friendly, warm and endearing. Unfortunately he’s married to this woman who he says makes the best Tiramisu in North Carolina. We didn’t get to try the Tiramisu (or meet her) so we will have to go back. Looking forward to our next visit. Highly recommend that you check out Meelos.

Gina replies on August 11th, 2010 at 1:14 pm:

Robin you must go back and try the tiramisu that is my all time favorite dessert and there is NO ONE in NC that can touch it. If you do nothing else but go in for a coffee and dessert try that. But call ahead or you may not get any. The hidden secret is you have to call and reserve a piece if you plan to come to dinner. Because his wife only makes one pan and when its gone its gone….. the other desserts are good but the Tiramisu is AWESOME!

Be warned once you have it you won’t like it any place else.

• Gerald said:

We eat here for lunch often. It is outstanding. Great food, great service. You must try any of their homemade soups, they are hearty and delicious. I highly recommend this wonderful little restaurant.

• Sarah said:

I checked out the online menu, and there are no lasagna, garlic bread, tiramisu or empanadas listed on it. Has it changed recently? The current online Lunch/Dinner menu seems like your typical college town Italian joint.

• cstarchenko said:

We ate a Meelos a couple months ago and it was FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it. Andre is a really warm and friendly host, and he’ll answer your questions about anything you are eating. Best Fired Calimari I’ve on the east coast. And I absolutely recommend the Tomato Asparagus soup.

• Jim said:

I have been going to Meelo’s for about 2 years now… I love the food and the customer service is excellent! I always look forward to Meelo’s coupon ads in the Herald-Sun Newspaper and would recommend them to anyone!

• The Bogerds said:

Service was dysfunctional. We arrived for dinner and sat ourselves since no one was in front to seat us, at a table with two dirty glasses, and were completely ignored for 10 minutes. Another party came in and were given menus, so I got up and told the waitress that we had arrived before them, and still had no menus and a table that needed busing.
    We were never given water, or asked if we’d like any.

Our Greek salad was cooked from swimming in salad dressing, I’m guessing since lunch.

The entrees were tasty, but we were never brought any bread. We ordered coffee and desert and were served desert and our check. I had to ask for the coffee a second time.

We won’t be going back.
    PS They still don’t have tapas, although the website menu says they do.

• karrie said:

Love this place! Little on the pricey side, but the food is always great. Kid friendly too. Andre is a great host and the staff has always treated us like family. Love it!

• Veronica said:

Had the lamb chops, scallops, creme brûlée and tiramisu. All were superb. Service was friendly and personal. It is a gem. One of Durhams best kept secrets.