Tasty Haven

Posted by RPP 26 Mar 2008 9 Comments

I started the day looking for a restaurant called “Da Spot”, which apparently used to exist at 518 Trinity Ave. Instead, I found Tasty Haven (518-B Trinity Ave), and decided to give it a try. It is a neighborhood restaurant with a fairly eclectic menu, but from what I could tell they specialize in fish and cheesesteaks. I ordered a cheesesteak and some breaded Whiting. Neither was that good, but the cheesesteak was better. The fish smelled so good when it was cooking that my mouth was watering, but in the end it was pretty generic. I think the place is worth another try though, I just will not be going out of my way to do so.

Tasty Haven

They have a bunch of specials written on a board inside, but here is the menu: Page 1, Page 2

• Steve said:

Hey, that’s right down the street from me!

Tasty Haven did in fact used to be Da Spot though I don’t know what relation, if any, the two establishments have to one another.

I’ve never been to either, but really should wander over there some day for lunch.

This blog is quickly becoming a favorite of mine – and two Tortas in one week (La Superior and Super Taqueria) caused a nice food coma. Perhaps the origin of the siesta?

• carpedurham said:

Thanks!

But do tell, which torta was better? Next time head the extra couple of miles to Orellana and help us settle the Torta Wars :)

• Steve said:

I liked that the torta at La Superior had onions on it, but I liked the crumbly cheese better on the one at Super Taqueria. I haven’t yet made it to Orellana but hope to trek up there soon. I’ll let you know what I think.

• Tommy said:

I beg to differ about Tasty Haven. I find their food to be the great taste of “Down Home, Southern Fried food”. I will suggest that everyone give Tasty Haven a try with an open mind and an empty belly. I promise you will be satisfied, and full, once you try….

• Carpe Durham/Reasonably Prudent Person (author) said:

Anything in particular that you would recommend? We indicated we were willing to give it another try :)

• Tommy said:

On the weekends they do an awesome BBQ. Ribs and Chicken. Its the best, but get there around 12 to 1 p.m., they sale out often. Try their veggies, all are homemade, not from a can.

• LocalStudent said:

Delicious! The collards are out of this world…and made without pork fat. I don’t know how they do it, but their seasonings are out of this world. I eat there every week and can recommend the collards, cabbage, fried chicken, hush puppies and chopped BBQ. Their prices are affordable…and I hear that they’re going to start taking Duke Points soon if you’re a student. If you’re looking for good, Southern home cookin’, Tasty Haven is the place to go. I give them a 4.5 Stars(out of 5).

• missingDaSpot said:

I used to love this place when it was Da Spot. Since Tasty Haven took over the business and location it went downhill fast. After a 1/2 dozen tries, I found that their menu and food quality was so unpredictable that I gave up on trying to figure out if they would ever match Da Spot. Since they’ve managed to stay open a couple of years now maybe I’ll give them one more try.

• edgar said:

the food here is really good i usually get the chopped BBQ sandwich with fries.It is great. not as good as Da Spots though but close enough for me.!!!!!