Home » Restaurants, Tacos

Taco BUS

Posted by YAR 23 Mar 2008 10 Comments

taco-bus-2.jpg

Taco carts may not have salsa bars like taquerias, but they are open at night, til 2am usually. There is no better time for a taco than 2am. And one of the taco carts near my house is not a cart but a BUS. A red bus. Apparently they’re open every night but Tuesday, from 7pm to 2am. I had a pastor taco that was great, and came with radishes and tons of cilantro. My friend’s asada taco was, she said, a bit more greasy than most but had some good fried onions on it. My other friend’s chorizo torta was one of the most giant ones I’ve seen, and he said it was good too.

On the way back I saw another taco cart and couldn’t not stop there. It was in the parking lot of the Big Pig on Hillborough. Although there was a woman in the cart cutting a giant piece of meat, she did not have anything to serve me. The Big Pig though–what is that? There was some loud Latino music going on inside and two bouncers outside. Is it really a BBQ place? Is it good? I guess I will have to go sometime, eh?

(Hat tip to Chowhound for turning us on to this place.)

• TSQ75 said:

so, where is this bus? *cant find a location in the post*

• catracho blanco said:

The cart by the “Big Pig” I give a mixed review of. The first encounter was the perfect 2am foil for the alcohol in my belly, but the next go round the lady doubled the price of the tacos (to $2). I haven’t since returned, but feel free to gamble on it. You just might get a good deal.

• carpedurham said:

The bus is on Hillsborough in front of a Latin American dance club. If you turn right from La Salle onto Hillsborough, you will see it on your right within a block or two.

It is kind of hard to miss.

• BryanZ said:

I like this blog. We should meet up for a drink or a meal sometime before I leave, in like, 4 weeks. The invitation is open.

• carpedurham said:

Bryan,

We would love to grab a meal or drink sometime before you head out. (Despite the fact you canceled a meal with one of us :) ). Drop us a line at carpedurham@carpedurham.com.

• Beth said:

I found the Red Bus today. Had the taco asada and found it to be very good. They were very nice and wrapped it to go for me.

• Taqueria Rubio « Carpe Durham said:

[...] this is a bit of a repost, I just wanted to provide a location and update the hours. And, like YAR said, food from a truck [...]

• Taco Truck Triumvirate « Carpe Durham said:

[...] truck or two? They’re our beloved taco trucks, and although we’ve already done a few sporadic posts about them, hopefully this one will cover many of your 2 am taco options. Taco Riendo Lopez [...]

• Denis Baldwin said:

I’m going today to try the Taco Bus and make a post about it. I’m really excited. Lots of people have recommended it to me, so it should be quite good.

• El Rancherito | Carpe Durham said:

[...] This was the most traditional item I saw on the menu. It was quite large and satisfying,  but the chorizo lacked the crispiness and punch of what’s on offer at Los Comalles, La Vaquita, or the taco bus. [...]