Byrd’s BBQ

Posted by RPP 8 Mar 2008 5 Comments

I have been meaning to stop by Byrd’s BBQ for several months, and yesterday on a very rainy Friday I finally got the chance. Even if their food wasn’t good, Byrd’s would be cool because of its remote northeast Durham location and its perfect charm. However, I am pleased to report that there is indeed some fine Eastern NC style ‘cue being served in this establishment. The pork was moist and full of flavor with a perfectly complimentary sauce. I have had better hush puppies, but the fried sweet corn balls were tasty (and very sweet). I highly recommend the Brunswick stew, which is very hearty with a pronounced smoky flavor.

Bryds 1

Bryds 2

Byrd's Barbecue on Urbanspoon

• Torta Wars: La Superior v. Orellana « Carpe Durham said:

[...] Wars: La Superior v. Orellana After a few too many beers and some Byrd’s BBQ on Friday, I found myself zealously (drunkenly) advocating for the tortas de carne asada at [...]

• aburtch said:

Byrds BBQ is the real deal, excellent eastern style BBQ with delicious sides. The first couple times I visited I was surprised how they stay in business given the location and lack of ambiance. Plus even many knowledgeable BBQ folks do not know of it’s existence.

The folks behind the counter told me they make their money from selling BBQ wholesale to local restaurants that want to offer a BBQ sandwich but don’t have the time or equipment to do so properly. So the focus is on the food and not the storefront or restaurant (rightly so!)

• Jessica said:

I love your blog, I can’t wait to go try the places and food choices that you’ve mentioned. BTW, I live very close to Byrd’s BBQ – we love it and glad to see it on here!

• Mike Keohane said:

Great food, great country atmosphere. The staff is friendly and helpful. A+!!

• PimentoChz said:

Their pimento cheese (in the cooler) really, really rocks.